Last night's election coverage made use of holograms, and fancy new technology, and computers and blah blah blah. But as everyone knows, the only holograms worth paying any attention to are Jem and the Holograms.
Come on, you remember! The '80s kids cartoon show? Jem is a singing superstar, and the alter ego of... oh, I'll just let Wikipedia tell you.
The central "secret" of the series is that Jem is in fact the alter ego of Jerrica Benton, owner/manager of Starlight Music, who adopts this persona with the help of Synergy, a holographic computer designed to be the ultimate visual entertainment synthesizer built by her father, who left it to her on his death.Yeah, take that, technology! And how much cooler is a holographic computer synthesizer thing than Will.I.Am? About A BILLION. That's right. A billion cooler.
Just watch the show's opening credits:
Okay, a few things of note:
• The Holograms' rival band is called the Misfits. Really. The Misfits.
• As pointed out to me by Film Editor Erik Henriksen, one-third of the picture at the top of this blog post is confusing.
• More from the Wikipedia entry:
The show was originally designed to appeal to both girls and boys, with a mix of action/adventure, drama, music, and fashion. As the show progressed, the audience gradually became almost entirely girls.You don't say.
• The show's creator is one Christy Marx, who incidentally designed a King Arthur computer game that I remember playing the shit out of when I was like 10 or something. I think I even wrote her a fan letter, and she totally wrote back.
• The voice of the cartoon Jem is one Britta Phillips, who actually became a real musician, formerly playing bass in Luna and now currently half of Dean and Britta, the duo she formed with Luna bandmate and husband Dean Wareham. Also she is a total hottie. I wouldn't remark on that unless it were true. Truly Truly Truly. Look see:
Anyway there's tons of Jem and the Holograms stuff to watch on the interweb, and you're not getting anything done today with that hangover, so get YouTubing.