As our beloved Sarah Mirk informed us, she's leaving the Mercury to do an awesome job as the new online editor for Bitch Media, and we could not be more proud! Sarah's creativity, smarts, and big heart will be sorely missed around here—but we're sure Sarah will continue doing amazing, hilarious, and thoughtful things. GOOD LUCK, SARAH!
Tear-stained tissues aside, that also means that the Mercury is looking for a news reporter to join our hot-shit staff. Could it be you or someone you know? Here's the ad that will be running in tomorrow's print edition. Check it out, and if it doesn't appeal to you, pass it along to the talented reporters in your life!
NOW HIRING: NEWS REPORTER
The Portland Mercury is currently hiring a full-time news reporter to join our award-winning news staff. Considered one of the most innovative weeklies in the country, the Mercury is looking for a reporter filled with passion, hustle, and the desire to write stories that make a real difference in our community.
Qualified applicants must possess the following:
• At least three years of newsroom or related online experience—preferably with a hard news focus.
• More than a passing familiarity with social media.
• Snappy, smart writing paired with a passion for long-form storytelling and a dedication to accuracy. Show us your well-cultivated voice.
• Flexibility. Be willing to jump from the courthouse to city hall to a foreclosure protest to the bowels of the Central Eastside to Salem to wherever else you're needed.
• Demonstrated ability at forging relationships needed to get great stories—with little handholding—in an extremely competitive news market.
• Experience with digging through public records in pursuit of scoops or must-read context.
• Extra points for photography skills.
• Enthusiasm, professionalism, people skills, and a good sense of humor are a must.
This is a full-time position, with competitive salary and benefits. Evening and occasional weekend hours are not unheard of. Interested applicants should electronically submit resume, web links for at least three published stories, and a cover letter describing goals, story ideas, and local topics that you’re passionate about to email@example.com or via snail mail to “News Reporter Job,” c/o News Editor Denis Theriault, Portland Mercury, 115 SW Ash Street, Suite 600, Portland OR 97204.
Deadline for applications: Friday, January 18.
We are an equal opportunity employer.