Mayor Charlie Hales' office had hoped to talk the cart into staying in city hall's plaza. But it wasn't to be—and after Fuego returned to its longtime perch outside the Portland Building, workers on Wednesday came out to pack up the nearly $4,000 worth of tables and chairs Hales' staff had purchased for cart customers.
His spokesman, meanwhile, told us the furniture would likely stay put away until one or more carts return to the plaza. That day could be coming sooner rather than later. The Mercury has obtained the city's pitch to prospective food cart owners, an email sent out to cart owners last night. (The city has yet to answer a request for the recipients of that email.)
It makes clear that it wants smaller pushcarts only, that carts would rotate in every three months, and that the tables and chairs would be for cart customers only, with the cart workers on the hook for keeping the furniture clean and chained up at the end of the day. The effort is being cast as a yearlong pilot project.
The City hopes to have diverse food types and styles, including those that will provide lunch and breakfast or a combination thereof. The City would like to have food carts throughout the year and is interested in seasonal offerings. To this end, the City expects to rotate food carts every three months.
Read the whole thing on the jump.
Hello Food Cart Owners –
The City of Portland is seeking food cart businesses interested in participating in a new pilot program. The City would like to place three food carts in the City Hall Courtyard, located on the 4th Avenue side at 1221 SW 5th Ave. This year long pilot, aims to activate the City Hall Courtyard with rotating food carts on a three month basis. As this is a pilot the City reserves the right to work with food cart vendors to identify the system and process that works best for the vendor and the City.
The following list includes requirements and details associated with this opportunity:
1. Food cart must be able to move off-site at end of shift. The City Hall Courtyard is open from 8am – 10pm. The food cart permit will allow use until 5pm, if desired by vendor.
2. Food Cart must be less than 16 feet in length.
3. Vendor is authorized to do business with City (i.e: City of Portland business license, food handlers card, insurance, etc…)
4. Vendor will remove any trash and debris associated with its vending.
5. Vendor will keep City provided patio furniture clean and free of trash and debris.
6. Vendor will chain and unchain City provided furniture at the beginning and end of each shift.
7. Food items sold must be easily carried by purchasers or pedestrians.
9. Polystyrene foam containers are not permitted for food sale or packaging. Vendor will use recyclable or compostable food services products and will use reusable food containers if appropriate.
10.For the duration of the pilot a no-cost lease must be signed.
The City hopes to have diverse food types and styles, including those that will provide lunch and breakfast or a combination thereof. The City would like to have food carts throughout the year and is interested in seasonal offerings. To this end, the City expects to rotate food carts every three months. Attached is a layout of the Courtyard with identified spaces for carts and City provided furniture.
If you are interested in participating please respond to this email by September 5. Please include the following information:
• Dimensions of food cart
• Type of food sold
• Hours of interest at location (i.e: 10am – 2pm)
• If applicable, the website of your company
The City will work with potential vendors who meet the criteria above regarding any additional lease requirements to come on board. Vendors meeting the lease requirements will be selected based on maintaining a variety of food options in the courtyard and hours of operation. Depending on interest, the City may develop a waiting list based on seasonal needs and diversity of food.
The City of Portland looks forward to working with you and creating an inviting space where retail establishments can thrive. If you know of any other vendors that may be interested please pass this information along.