- Kelly O
- Tacocat: No, really. They are the best.
• News editor Denis Theriault spills news all over the music section with an excellent investigative piece on what went down at the Blue Monk on Saturday night. Rapper Illmaculate chose to forgo his performance in protest of excessive police presence, drawing to light a far bigger issue between Portland police and the local hiphop scene. Could Saturday night mark a turning point? I for one sincerely hope so.
• Tacocat are fun and games, but they're not all fun and games. Still, they're pretty damn fun. And who doesn't like games?
LISTEN: Tacocat - "Bridge to Hawaii"
• Angel Olsen's voice is an instrument with thermodynamic capabilities, and her songwriting ain't bad, either.
LISTEN: Angel Olsen - "Forgiven/Forgotten"
• The Dharma Bums' Jeremy Wilson went to Florida to give it a go. It didn't work out. (Because Florida.)
LISTEN: Jeremy Wilson - "Empty Through Empty Space
• Solids' sweet and serrated noise pop puts emphasis on the noise.
LISTEN: Solids - "Haze Away"
• Plus a malty, music-y festival's worth of Up & Coming shows.