[Reprinted from last Wednesday... because you need a reminder, I bet!—Eds]
The Mercury is looking for a new arts editor. Are you that person? Is someone you know that person? Read the employment ad below, and yell it from the social media mountaintops! FINALLY, A JOB FOR YOUR USELESS ARTS DEGREE.
NOW HIRING: ARTS EDITOR
The Portland Mercury is currently hiring a full-time ARTS EDITOR to join our fun and energetic editorial staff. Considered one of the most innovative weeklies in the country, the Mercury is looking for a writer/editor filled with passion, hustle, and the desire to share their love for the Portland arts scene with the rest of the community. This is a good position for a strong writer with a literary or fine arts degree—a background in journalism is not required (but it doesn’t hurt).
Qualified applicants must possess the following:
• Previous and demonstrable editing/management experience (working in an arts-related field is a definite plus).
• Snappy, smart writing paired with a passion for digging deep into an arts scene (including theater, visual art, books, comedy, and more). Must respect and be interested in all forms of culture, from highbrow to low.
• Must be extremely organized and able to produce a weekly arts calendar, while writing reviews, meeting daily blog deadlines, and managing freelancers.
• An ability and desire to build relationships within the art and performance community.
• Extra points: Proofreading skills, love of reading, social media expertise, a flexible schedule, and a thick skin (needed for writing honestly about those you may run into on the street).
• And of course, enthusiasm, professionalism, people skills, and a good sense of humor are a must.
This is a full-time position, with competitive salary and excellent benefits. Evening and occasional weekend hours are sometimes necessary. Interested applicants should electronically submit resume, web links for at least three relevant writing samples, and a cover letter describing goals, story ideas, and local topics that you’re passionate about to email@example.com, and please put "ARTS EDITOR JOB" in the subhead. (Or, if you're old-timey, via snail mail to “Arts Editor Job,” c/o Wm. Steven Humphrey, Portland Mercury, 115 SW Ash Street, Suite 600, Portland OR 97204.)
Deadline for applications: Sunday, August 10.
The Portland Mercury is an equal opportunity employer.