Good news: the Portland Mercury is hiring! We’re looking to add a full-time news reporter to our award-winning staff—known locally for smart, deep, and accessible journalism. And we want someone with hustle and an unflinching drive to make a meaningful difference in our community. IS THAT YOU, OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW? Keep reading, and spread the word—but hurry! DEADLINE IS 5 PM TOMORROW, FRI FEB 26!
Qualified applicants must possess the following:
• A substantial body of professional work published within the past three years. We prefer articles, but blog-style posts will be considered.
• Snappy, smart writing chops paired with a passion for long-form storytelling and a dedication to accuracy. Show us your well-cultivated voice.
• A demonstrated ability to devise and execute high-quality story ideas— with little to no handholding—in an extremely competitive news market.
• Experience requesting and digging through public records in pursuit of scoops or must-read context.
• Flexibility. Be able to jump from the courthouse to city hall to a police accountability protest to wherever else you’re needed. It’s a busy city.
• An easy, active relationship with social media.
• A thriving cultural life outside of work... and, seriously, a sense of humor.
• We’ll like you even more if you can take a good picture or build an amazing spreadsheet or infographic.
Again, this is a full-time position, with competitive salary and benefits. Evening and weekend hours aren’t the norm, but they’re also not unheard of.
Interested applicants should send us a résumé, the best cover letter known to humankind, links/PDFs to at least three pieces, and four story ideas. Email everything to email@example.com. Snail mail won’t be accepted. Sorry!
Deadline for applications: TOMORROW Friday, February 26.
We are an equal opportunity employer.