Benjamin and Shannon Caulfield
22 NE 7th
One wonders how this cute and pastry-savvy couple gets any work done at their restaurant, being acquainted with these exotic/erotic cookbooks and being at arm's length of each other all day:
• California Dish by Jeremiah Tower: "Bisexual adventure, megalomania, shit-talking, and rigorous menu planning."
• The Whole Beast by Fergus Henderson: "Recipes on tripe, lungs, spleen, liver, and other 'variety meats'."
• Cooking by Hand by Paul Bertolli: "30 pages on vinegar, 70 on salami, and 11 on a conversation between the author and a glass of red wine."
• The French Laundry Cookbook by Thomas Keller: "This guy will lay out a recipe for a pig's head and pig's feet on the same page, and you'll want to eat it."
• Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain: "It'll make you think twice about working in the service industry."
From STA Travel
1503 SW Park
Staying home for the holidays? Don't worry, there are still a couple dull winter months remaining for you to plot your escape. Local painter/travel agent Kelly has tips on doin' it cheap!
• Book early: "If you're gonna travel in December, book in August."
• Try Costa Rica or Amsterdam: "It's really inexpensive to fly and stay in these places during winter."
• Don't be stingy about the date: "Be open to leaving three days on either side of your fantasy departure date—you might find a ticket for a few hundred dollars cheaper."
• Forget popular destinations: "Study up on places you wouldn't think to go. Instead of Cancun do Puerto Vallarta. Instead of Paris, do Prague."
• Start with specials: "Find out what the best specials are and build your trip ideas around that instead of starting with a destination in mind."