What's happening tonight at Holocene? What is "Umbrella"? Is it the name of a special charity organization, or just the title given to this particular night of music?
Writer and video artist Cat Tyc has this to say:
"Umbrella" is a short film that I am making this summer. It's a script that I wrote about a woman who processes her unexpected pregnancy in a sort of surreal way. A man begins to follow her around, thwacking her on the head with an umbrella.Wow, that all sounds pretty cool, and you should also know this:
The benefit show was supposed to be addendum to grant money that never came, so this event is the base of starting funds for the film. I feel lucky that my friends agreed to play this show to help me out. We are also having a raffle with prizes from MacTarnahan's (2 cases of beer), 10 Plexifilm dvds, the entire Journal of Short Film catalog, and a basketball signed by all the Portland Trailblazers,
to name a few.
• $2 of your admission goes to benefit both Planned Parenthood and the Rock ’n’ Roll Camp for Girls
• Sarah Winchester of A Weather will perform a solo set of forlorn, whispery folk
• Tara Jane O’Neil will be doing more of eclectic experimentation that has made her a near-icon in the Portland music scene
• Mattress will be performing his awkward electronic lounge-soul
• Rush-N-Disco will be exhibiting their cabaret/performance art
• Mike McGonigal, the man responsible for Yeti magazine and the Halleluwah music festival, will spin platters in between sets
• AND Sarah Dougher, Sad Horse, Janet Pants!
It should be a good, weird time, one that benefits not just a local artistic endeavor but TWO great causes.
Holocene, 1001 SE Morrison, doors open at 8 pm, $5-10 sliding scale