Technically, it's Fall, but the weather forecast has nothing but sunny skies for the next few days, which I will effectively use to pretend like it's still Summer. The fruit I always associate with Summer is the blueberry, preferably local. Not only are they tasty, they also contain powerful antioxidants that help fight off free radicals that can damage skin cells. While it is better to eat them to get all of their nutritional goodness (topical skin care products only address 20% of your skin on the surface while the other 80% of your skin is affected by what you eat and drink) it still is fun to add them to your skin care routine. So go out and pick up some local blueberries (I know they are still out there) and try out some of the following recipes, and you too will be in blissful denial that Summer is over.
Blueberry & Oatmeal Facial Mask
1 cup blueberries, 1 cup oatmeal, 2 tablespoons honey, 5-6 whole almonds
Puree all the ingredients in a blender until finely blended. Spread mixture over your face and leave on for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water then splash skin with cool water. This mask is great for dry skin. Source: Yahoo
Hydrating Blueberry Face Mask
1/4 cup fresh local blueberries (frozen berries may be substituted in a pinch), 1 tablespoon raw honey, 1 tablespoon olive oil, Juice of half a lemon, 1 teaspoon sugar
Pulse the first four ingredients in a blender until smooth. Sprinkle in sugar and massage evenly over the face and leave on for ten minutes. Remove with a warm, damp cloth. This mask will make your face feel super moisturized and nourished. Source: Beauty Bets
Blueberry & Yogurt Face Mask
2/3 cup blueberries, 2/3 cup plain yogurt, 2/3 cup honey, 1 teaspoon oatmeal
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend thoroughly. Apply to face and leave on for 15 minutes. Once dry remove with a warm cloth. This mask will make your skin glow! Source: Red Lip Gloss
Blueberry Aloe Eye Mask
Handful of Blueberries, 2 Tablespoons Aloe Vera Gel
In a small bowl mash a handful of cold blueberries. Then add aloe vera gel and dab mixture delicately under the eyes. Lie down and leave on for 20 minutes. Remove with lukewarm water. Your eyes will look refreshed and brighter. Source: Beautylish
All masks may be stored in the refrigerator for up to about a week tightly covered.
- Elizabeth Mollo
- Don't let the Blue Meanie steal your blueberries!!!