Aside from the obvious PR in this article, did the staff actually do any research of their own into where the Fluoride used in the water will come from? Had they done a proper job as a "reporter", they would have learned that the majority of Fluoridation is sourced from industrial waste.
From the EPA: 95% what's used in the process comes from the industrial waste of the phosphate fertilizer industry, in the form of sodium fluorosilicate and fluorosilicic acid. Which are classified as hazardous waste by the EPA. The other 5% source comes from the manufacture of hydrogen fluoride which is used in the manufacturing of solar panels and electronics.
Furthermore, industrial sources have been found to contain arsenic and lead, even though for the most part the NSF/ANSI standards are pretty stringent over purity so only rarely do the impurities happen. But still, do we really want to add even more junk to the water we drink?
Obviously there's money to be had by passing off industrial waste as being "good" for us. And if Fluoridation passes, Portland will be yet another in a long string of suckers who buy into this B.S.
It is also painfully obvious that the Mercury needs cash, so took a big old donation for this piece of yellow journalism.
Let's not kid ourselves. The beer tax would raise the price of beer by $1-1.50 per pint without a doubt. To say anything less is just dishonest. And to levee a 2000% tax increase on one of the last thriving industries in Oregon is so wrong-headed it's astounding. Why penalize the craft beer industry to pay for the for the evils of drug and liquor abuse? It makes no sense. It's been proven time and time again that alcoholics abuse Hard Liquors. And Craft Beer is hardly a gateway to drug addiction. This bill is just proof of how short sighted the legislature is. Sure they can pass this bill, then raise the tax and raise some short term money, but what happens when they drive most craft brewers out of business? Where then will the state find money to fund drug and alcohol treatment? How about thinking outside of the box and levee taxes on things that really damage or kill people: How about raising taxes on Fatty food? How about an increase on cigarette and hard liquor taxes? How about a $1/per bullet tax? How about taxes on all the necessary items needed to make Meth? How about increased taxes on industries that pollute? Or maybe venture into true leadership and legalize pot --and then tax the death out of that. Any of these would probably raise far more cash than the shortsighted foolishness of an unfair tax levee that would kill the state's most unique and greatest industry: Craft beer making.
If you want to control the sex trade in this town you need to look outside of our country at places that do it effectively and well. The Netherlands, Germany are good models to follow. Zoning and strict licensing is the key. However having lived in NYC who tried to just zone everything out of existence, they also succeeded in opening the pandora's box for overzealous prudes to begin eliminating nightclubs, eateries, and other businesses that fell well outside of the original intent of the zoning measures, and in the end the city was left a dull lifeless husk of its former self.
So proceed carefully before rushing in to reign in sex shops because you might find yourselves in league with people morally far worse than prostitutes or strippers: and that would be hypocrites and demagogues.
All contents © Index Newspapers, LLC
Contact Info |
Production Guidelines |