In case you missed it earlier in the week, our delightful newshound Sarah Mirk is leaving for greener pastures, which means the Mercury's looking for a news reporter! Here's the ad—share it with your talented friends, if you think they're interested. DEADLINE IS NEXT FRIDAY.
NOW HIRING: FULL TIME NEWS REPORTER
The Portland Mercury is currently hiring a full-time news reporter to join our award-winning news staff. Considered one of the most innovative weeklies in the country, the Mercury is looking for a reporter filled with passion, hustle, and the desire to write stories that make a real difference in our community.
Qualified applicants must possess the following:
• At least three years of newsroom or related online experience—preferably with a hard news focus.
• More than a passing familiarity with social media.
• Snappy, smart writing paired with a passion for long-form storytelling and a dedication to accuracy. Show us your well-cultivated voice.
• Flexibility. Be willing to jump from the courthouse to city hall to a foreclosure protest to the bowels of the Central Eastside to Salem to wherever else you're needed.
• Demonstrated ability at forging relationships needed to get great stories—with little handholding—in an extremely competitive news market.
• Experience with digging through public records in pursuit of scoops or must-read context.
• Extra points for photography skills.
• Enthusiasm, professionalism, people skills, and a good sense of humor are a must.
This is a full-time position, with competitive salary and benefits. Evening and occasional weekend hours are not unheard of. Interested applicants should electronically submit resume, web links for at least three published stories, and a cover letter describing goals, story ideas, and local topics that you’re passionate about to firstname.lastname@example.org or via snail mail to “News Reporter Job,” c/o News Editor Denis Theriault, Portland Mercury, 115 SW Ash Street, Suite 600, Portland OR 97204.
Deadline for applications: Friday, January 18.
We are an equal opportunity employer.