Summertime is the best season for rock 'n' roll, so we asked a guy who spends his workweek fixing guitars for his top rock picks to enjoy while sitting out onÉ umÉ the grass:
- The Doors: "They make me want to get high. I got turned on to them around the same time I had my first tie-dye shirt."
- Devo: "They make me feel good around the clock. One o'clock, two o'clock, three o'clock, four o'clockÉ Etc."
- Cheap Trick: "They make me wish I was 15 years old, selling acid and either shooting sling shots at cop cars or burning down my schoolÉ Or waitÉ not either, just both."
- Led Zeppelin: "They also make me want to get high. A fast car, an endless highway, and a bottomless B.J."
- AC/DC: "No time for ponytails! And just enough room for 11 [as in crank it up to]!"
From Portland Parks Aquatics
Whether you're learning to swim, just playing in the water, or looking to tone your bod, lifeguards like Kelsey are there to get your back--with a little help from her friends:
- Life vests: "They're significant because they teach children about safety, and they're helpful during open swims."
- Noodles: "They're used during open swims too, just for fun. They're also used in some water exercises. But they're not for real little kids to drift off with."
- Floating mats: "These are useful for lessons. They're flat and straight, and good for parents to be able to put their kids on and have them kick their feet."
- Water exercise belts: "These are mainly used for deep water exercise classes to keep the patrons above water while they're doing their workouts."
- Lifeguarding tubes: "They're used for saving people, and are also very important during spinals--which is when someone has a back injury in the pool. Also, for instance, if someone's unconscious you can flip them over so the tube's underneath them."