Summer's comin' and it's time to shed that old lover for a brand spanking new one! And who better to give dating tips than a server at one of the most romantic restaurants in town? Speak the truth, Tristan!
• Don't overly dress to impress: "Don't look like you're trying too hard or you'll scare your date away."
• Don't Irish Shower: "Don't bathe yourself in scent. Walk-throughs only--if any at all. Not even patchouli! Don't wear anything that smells like forestry unless you're going on a first date in the woods."
• Don't get fucked up: "Go easy on the booze. Keep the date going without getting 86ed or spilling your life story. However, if the date isn't going so well, this rule doesn't apply."
• Whoever does the asking out, should pay: "It's nice if the date offers to split the bill, but don't accept it!"
From Anthem Records
828 SE 34th
Ever seen a shop with entire sections devoted to black metal and stoner doom rock? Don't worry, Anthem's also got all the disco and indie greats you could want, not to mention a huge and cheap used section. Here are some albums Zach suggests for impressing friends and enemies:
• America/Music Disc reissues: "Obscure free-jazz reissues (1969-74) from Art Ensemble, Braxton, Thorton, Archie Shepp, Lacy, Bley and more."
• Boris, Akuma No Uta: "Japanese doom metal trio. This disc covers all of their sounds evenly and has the best cover ever!"
• Birchville Cat Motel, Beautiful Speck Triumph: "Two hours of the most powerful 'experimental' music I've heard in years. From Sunno)) to Mirror to Godspeed, in order."
• V/A, Soul Gospel: "Soul artists adapting classic/standard gospel songs. Really nice record!"
• The Books, Lost and Safe: "They sing now. It's nicer."