From Flux Salon
2038 SE Belmont
Mark is someone you might consider listening to when it comes to your hair, and not just because he's a stylist. He actually did the famously petulant Liam Gallagher's hair once, and is still alive to tell the tale. (If it had been Noel, he would have been a goner for sure.)
• DO embrace your natural color: "If you have more than three chemical processes on your hair, that's two too many. Straying too far from your natural hair color leads to the Donatella Versace look."
• DO switch it up annually: "If you haven't changed your style within 12 months, shoot your stylist."
• DO use color meant for you: "If you must color your own hair, buy products targeted toward your hair type and ethnicity."
• DO follow these extension rules: "Only extend your hair up to half as long as it is, always use human hair, and never use glue."
• DO keep up on light roots: "Dark roots on a blonde are one thing, but blonde roots on a brunette make you look bald and strange."
Breana hops between the East Coast and Japan when she's not at home in Portland, dressing up models and promoting her goth-esque clothing line, darkMATTER. Although Portlanders can't get our hands on her pieces yet, we did squeeze in some precious hair tips:
• DON'T use gel: "It's the devil. It's so Vanilla Ice. No one likes crispy hair."
• DON'T use arts 'n' craft scissors: "Buy professional shears. It's easier than you might think, and you'll learn something."
• DON'T be cheap about product: "Take time to really buy and try the good products. Bedhead by TIGI is a great line to start with. The After-Party and Manipulator are my favorites—they'll be your friends for life."
• DON'T wash: "If you know you have a special event coming up, don't wait till that day to wash your hair. Do it two days before. No coif you've ever loved is freshly washed."