Portland police just sent out a news release on the city's third officer-involved shooting of 2012. Not many details yet, other than the fact that the person they shot was injured but not killed. That means only one of this year's shootings has been fatal, back in January when officers shot and killed a suicidal man atop a downtown parking garage.

Another police shooting in Portland, in which a man in New Columbia was injured, involved Washington County tactical officers helping Portland cops serve a search warrant.

Portland Police officers have been involved in a shooting in the area of Southeast 153rd Avenue and Division Street. No officers are injured. One suspect has suffered a non-life threatening gunshot wound.

Media staging is at Southeast 148th and Division Street. All traffic along Division for several blocks is closed to traffic.

We'll have more information as it comes in. Stay tuned for updates.

Update 1:15 PM: The O's report on the news release includes one additional tidbit:

Portland and Gresham police apparently were looking for a man with a gun after a vehicle stop. Emergency workers were on the way to the scene.

Update 3:40 PM: The police have sent out another release, and the O has filed an extensive report based on what witnesses and neighbors had to say. The shooting, while nonfatal, bore some eerie similarities to the Aaron Campbell shooting in 2010.

It started, cops say, when gang and gun task force officers doing surveillance saw a man with a gun get in a car that then drove off. Officers followed and pulled the car over, but the guy took off. The officers, in response, fired a beanbag shot at the guy (which didn't faze him) and then fired at least one bullet. The man was found nearby, injured, and two handguns also were found, police say.

This morning, Tuesday July 17, 2012, members of the Portland Police Bureau's Gang Enforcement Team and Gun Task Force were conducting surveillance on a location in Southeast Portland as part of an ongoing investigation. During that surveillance, they observed a man armed with a handgun get into a vehicle with some other men, and the vehicle left the area. Investigators asked for East Precinct uniform officers to conduct a high-risk traffic stop on the vehicle, as they believed the armed man was an occupant.

East Precinct and Gresham Police officers stopped the vehicle at approximately 153rd and Southeast Division Street and conducted a high-risk stop, which is used when there is information that someone in the vehicle may be armed.

Vehicle occupants exited the vehicle and were taken into custody. The man investigators believe had the gun, got out and was not following commands and ran from the officers into the neighborhood.

At some point, a less-lethal beanbag was fired at the suspect. One Portland Police officer fired at least one round from his firearm. The suspect disappeared into the neighborhood and officers, including a Police K-9 Unit, searched the neighborhood and located the suspect, who was suffering from some injuries.

The injured suspect was transported to a Portland hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. At this point, it is not clear how he suffered these injuries.

Officers searched the neighborhood for items the suspect may have dropped and they have recovered two (2) handguns.

As is standard in all officer-involved shooting investigations, detectives from the Portland Police Bureau's Homicide Detail, as well as detectives from the East County Major Crimes Team are at the scene and are in the very early stages of the investigation. Additionally, representatives from the Gresham Police Department, the City Attorney's Office, Multnomah County District Attorney's Office, the Office of Independent Police Review, Internal Affairs, Traumatic Incident Committee, the Crisis Response Team, and the Chief's Office are at the scene.

No additional information can be released at this time and updates will be provided as they become available.

Southeast Division Street between 148th and 154th Avenues will be closed to all traffic for the next several hours as the investigation continues.