Daniel Collins, a 21-year-old college student at the time, has always maintained he was merely trying to leave Old Town's Barracuda nightclub soon after a melee broke out on Christmas Eve 2010, bringing in a bunch of cops who immediately set about trying to break things up.

And Collins might have made it out if he hadn't run into four of those officers: Darrell Shaw, Matthew Delenikos, Gregory Burn, and David Abrahamson.

Court documents all agree he was put on the ground, kneed on his lower body, and hit with a Taser. They agree he was unarmed. They also agree he was taken to OHSU, where he was cited for interfering with a police officer and resisting arrest. And they agree those charges were never pursued by prosecutors.

Of course those documents don't agree on every detail. Collins, in suing the police bureau and the officers in June 2012, also said (pdf) he was punched in the face and kicked and Tasered several times, and that he hadn't been doing anything wrong when the four officers grabbed him. The city, in turn, argued (pdf) he was kicking and hiding his hands, that he had committed "crimes," and that he'd been trying to interfere with another person's arrest.

But city officials clearly felt Collins' version of events would resonate with a judge or jury. And this Wednesday, more than two years after he first filed suit, the Portland City Council is expected to give him a $110,000 payout for his pain and suffering.

According to court files, deputy city attorney Jim Rice asked the judge for time to hammer out the last details on a settlement back in April, targeting the July 30 city council meeting for approval.

The Oregonian reported on Collins' original complaint a few days after he filed it. The paper reported he's "the grandson of Pastor Mary Overstreet of Portland's Powerhouse Church of God in Christ." Collins deferred to his attorney, Matthew McHenry, when reached for comment. McHenry has yet to return a message seeking comment declined to comment while the settlement is still pending. We'll update when the city posts documents better explaining the settlement to its council agenda later this afternoon.

Update 3:55 PM: The city documents are up. They cite a deposition in which Collins explained he couldn't obey the officers to show his hands because they'd pinned him against a metal pole. The documents also mention the fact that Collins was struck and Tasered until he lost consciousness.