Hey! The Mercury is hiring a news reporter! Could this person be you (or someone you know)? Read the job listing below, and if you know a good candidate, please help spread the word! And this just in... due to popular demand, we are extending the application deadline until WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 7.
NOW HIRING: FULL TIME NEWS REPORTER
Good news: The Portland Mercury is hiring! We’re looking to add a full-time reporter to our award-winning staff—known locally for smart, deep, and accessible journalism. And we want someone with hustle and an unflinching drive to make a meaningful difference in our community.
Qualified applicants must possess the following:
• A substantial body of professional work published within the past three years.
• Snappy, smart writing chops paired with a passion for long-form storytelling and a dedication to accuracy. Show us your well-cultivated voice.
• A demonstrated ability to devise and execute unique, high-quality story ideas—with little to no handholding—in an extremely competitive news market.
• Experience requesting and digging through public records in pursuit of scoops or must-read context.
• Flexibility. Be able to jump from the courthouse to city hall to a protest to wherever else you're needed. It’s a busy city.
• An easy, active relationship with social media.
• A thriving cultural life outside of work… and, seriously, a sense of humor.
• We’ll like you even more if you can take a good picture or build an amazing spreadsheet or infographic.
• We especially encourage people of color and women to apply!
Again, this is a full-time position—with competitive salary and benefits—in a profitable and stable company. Evening and weekend hours aren’t the norm, but they’re also not unheard of.
Interested applicants should send us a résumé, the best cover letter known to humankind, links/PDFs to at least three pieces, and four story ideas. Email everything to firstname.lastname@example.org. Snail mail won’t be accepted. Sorry!
New deadline for applications: Wednesday, February 7.
The Mercury is an equal opportunity employer.