Good news: The Portland Mercury is hiring! We’re looking to add a full-time reporter to our award-winning staff—known locally for smart, deep, and accessible journalism. And we want someone with hustle and an unflinching drive to make a meaningful difference in our community. (PSSST! Just heard about this? We've extended the deadline, which is now this FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 14. You're welcome, and tell your friends.)
Qualified applicants must possess the following:
• A substantial body of professional work published within the past three years.
• Snappy, smart writing chops paired with a passion for long-form storytelling and a dedication to accuracy. Show us your well-cultivated voice.
• A demonstrated ability to devise and execute unique, high-quality story ideas—with little to no handholding—in an extremely competitive news market.
• Experience requesting and digging through public records in pursuit of scoops or must-read context.
• Flexibility. Be able to jump from the courthouse to city hall to a protest to wherever else you're needed. It’s a busy city.
• An easy, active relationship with social media.
• A thriving cultural life outside of work… and, seriously, a sense of humor.
• We’ll like you even more if you can take a good picture or build an amazing spreadsheet or infographic.
• We especially encourage people of color and women to apply!
Again, this is a full-time position—with competitive salary and benefits—in a profitable and stable company. Evening and weekend hours aren’t the norm, but they’re also not unheard of.
Interested applicants should send us a résumé, the best cover letter known to humankind, links/PDFs to at least three pieces, and four story ideas.
Email everything to email@example.com. Snail mail won’t be accepted. Sorry!
New deadline for applications: Friday, September 14.
We are an equal opportunity employer.