Here's your daily roundup of all the latest local and national news. (Like our coverage? Please consider making a recurring contribution to the Mercury to keep it comin'!)
• Oregon had an alarming spike in coronavirus cases since yesterday, gaining a whopping 375 new infections (the current record) and 1 additional death. Umatilla county is in the lead with 88 new cases, followed by Washington (67) and Multnomah counties (64). Reminder that a STATEWIDE face mask rule is in effect, and it applies to EVERYONE, which includes shithead state troopers.
On the 1st day of @OregonGovBrown’s statewide mask order, an @ORStatePolice trooper walked into a coffee shop.— Brad Schmidt (@_Brad_Schmidt) July 2, 2020
Without a mask.
And he allegedly refused to wear one, saying it would take away our civil liberties.
“F—-, Kate Brown,” he allegedly added.https://t.co/oqLWlKukvJ
• Restaurant group Toro Bravo (the local empire started by John Gorham) is dissolving following blowback from a Facebook tirade written by Gorham toward a trans woman of color. After many of his staff quit in protest, Gorham had stepped away from the daily running of the eateries such as Toro Bravo and Tasty & Alder, but is now pulling the plug entirely.
• For those wondering where the elk statue that sits between Chapman and Lownsdale Squares ran off to, it's reportedly been taken down by city officials following a fire that was set at its base during last night's protest.
Oh wow the elk is just ... gone pic.twitter.com/JTaZ1YgmJ2— Beth Nakamura (@bethnakamura) July 2, 2020
• The mayor of Seattle has ordered the dismantlement of the city's occupied zone (CHOP) much to the glee of utterly corrupt Justice Department head Bill Barr—but the marching and protesting will go on unabated.
IN NATIONAL NEWS:
• After previously opposing mayors that were trying to save lives in their cities, Republican Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas has slammed his clown car in reverse and is now requiring almost everyone in his state to wear face masks.
Washington Gov. Jay Inslee has announced he will be signing a proclamation that says businesses will not be able to legally serve customers goods or services unless the patrons are wearing a face covering https://t.co/13JarncWHo— CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) July 2, 2020
• Meanwhile Florida (who also laughed in the face of those who totally predicted this would happen) is reporting an astounding 10,100 new cases of coronavirus. Even worse, the staggering number of new cases has completely overwhelmed the state's contact tracers.
Former presidential candidate Herman Cain is hospitalized with Covid-19. As co-chair of Black Voices for Trump, he was at the Tulsa rally and his website notes recent travel to other places including Arizona. https://t.co/T0OtPssDHS
— CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) July 2, 2020
• Not that the dum-dums will listen, but officials are begging Americans to STAY HOME for the Fourth of July weekend.
• Just going to leave this headline right here: "Man who went to party warned people not to be an 'idiot like me’ a day before dying of covid-19."
• The Supreme Court has decided to wait until next term (long after the upcoming election) to decide whether Congress can see secret grand jury material from the Mueller Report.
• Apparently Trump has finally received—AFTER ALL THIS FUCKING TIME OF DESTROYING AMERICA—a "deadline" from Republicans for turning his terrible public approval numbers around or else lose their support.
"A Republican strategist close to Mitch McConnell told me that Republicans have Labor Day penciled in as the deadline for Trump to have turned things around. After that, he’s on his own." https://t.co/gQM72dPo9G— David Roberts (@drvox) July 2, 2020
• Despite fire bans and protests from Native American groups, the Mount Rushmore fireworks spectacular will continue as planned tomorrow with a guest appearance from COVID-denier Donald Trump, and thousands of maskless dummies who refuse to obey social distancing.
• Ghislaine Maxwell, a former girlfriend and associate of Jeffrey Epstein, has been arrested and charged with helping the alleged sex trafficker locate and groom young girls for him to sexually abuse.
• After being on the receiving end of some ice-cold backlash, old-timey rapper Vanilla Ice has postponed his wildly dangerous concert that was scheduled for this weekend.
• And finally, sliding into the July 4 weekend like....