Here's your daily roundup of all the latest local and national news. (Like our coverage? Please consider making a recurring contribution to the Mercury to keep it comin'!)
• Today Gov. Kate Brown announced a ban on indoor gatherings of more than 10 people, as well as an outdoor mask mandate for those who are in danger of being closer than six feet away. This is in response to the current surge of coronavirus infections in Oregon that threaten to spiral out of control within the next few weeks.
Today I am sounding the alarm: we are at risk of COVID-19 getting out of control in Oregon.— Governor Kate Brown (@OregonGovBrown) July 13, 2020
Each of us needs to take immediate action to slow the spread of this disease.
Face coverings are required in some outdoor public spaces and indoor social get-togethers are capped at 10. pic.twitter.com/QMrsURfy48
• SPEAKING OF WHICH: The Oregon Health Authority reported 1,005 new cases over the weekend, with five additional deaths. Saturday alone had 409 new cases. Know what would help this situation? WEAR YA DAMN MASK, WASH YA DAMN HANDS, KEEP YA DAMN DISTANCE.
• On Saturday, federal officers shot a peaceful protester in the head with a munition, seriously injuring him and requiring him to have skull and facial surgery. It's unknown whether or not he will regain full cognitive function. His crime? Just standing there holding a speaker above his head.
Today, @realDonaldTrump said...— Keaton Thomas (@keaton_thomas) July 13, 2020
"We've done a great job in Portland. Portland was totally out of control. They went in and I guess they have many people right now in jail. We very much quelled it. If it starts again, we'll quell it again, very easily. It's not hard to do." pic.twitter.com/nTIfl82Mb5
• Unlike both Oregon State senators and the majority of city council, Mayor Wheeler issued a late, wishy-washy response regarding the federal officer who shot a peaceful protester in the head, advising the feds to follow the lead of the Portland Police—who frankly aren't much better.
• Can someone please slip this article under the door at Portland Police headquarters? Thanks! "Tear gas, riot gear incite protesters. Make targeted arrests instead, experts say."
• A lawsuit has been launched against the Oregon Employment Department for what the plaintiffs call a "staggering" delay in unemployment benefits which have caused "catastrophic" results—especially to low-income Oregonians.
• Portland Public Schools have announced a tentative plan to reopen this fall, IF health authorities say it's safe to do so. It would involve kids splitting the week between home and in-school instruction.
• Despite the coronavirus, the Portland Timbers will be taking on the LA Galaxy tonight—but without the roar of the Timbers Army. The very smart Abe Asher has an essay on why this matters.
IN NATIONAL NEWS:
• In California, Gov. Gavin Newsom is shutting everything back down due to their COVID surge, including bars and restaurants.
• With over 100,000 new coronavirus cases just over this past weekend across the nation, we probably should've expected this: "A record 5.4 million people lost their health coverage amid the pandemic, a study found."
Hong Kong Disneyland will shut down again, Disney announced. The re-closing comes just days after Disney executives cited the reopening of its parks in Asia as evidence that Disney World could reopen in Florida safely, even as cases in the state surge. https://t.co/gtp5TxziXV— The New York Times (@nytimes) July 13, 2020
• According to the World Health Organization chief in a press conference today, "There will be no return to normal for the foreseeable future" and "There are no short cuts out of this pandemic."
• Some people have been saying the prospect of attaining "herd immunity" faster is the only possible hope to be pulled out of this crisis. Unfortunately, we might not even have that, as reports are showing increasing examples of people catching COVID-19 twice.
• ICYMI: Tucker Carlson lost his head writer over the weekend when it was discovered the person spent his free time being openly racist on internet messageboards. WHO WOULD'VE EVER THOUGHT??
Democrats winning the Senate in 2020 once looked like an impossibility, but recent polling and fundraising numbers from Democratic candidates show that goal might be within reach. https://t.co/ZIh99LfxXI— NPR Politics (@nprpolitics) July 13, 2020
• It's official: Washington's NFL football franchise will no longer have a racial slur for a team name. (Unless their next name is racist, too.)
• After a week of searching, the body of Glee star Naya Rivera has been found in the same lake where authorities suspected she had drowned.
• WEATHER TIME: Expect sunny skies with highs in the low to mid 80s through Wednesday.
• And finally... me, when the temperature hits 85.
We don’t deserve them.— Rex Chapman🏇🏼 (@RexChapman) July 13, 2020