Here's your daily roundup of all the latest local and national news. (Like our coverage? Please consider making a recurring contribution to the Mercury to keep it comin'!)
• After months of Portland Police Bureau (PPB) members covering their name tags so they couldn't be identified while committing violent acts on protesters, they will now start stenciling their helmets with three numbers for identification purposes. HOW COULD THIS PERFECT SYSTEM POSSIBLY BE SUBVERTED?
• Oh, and this is interesting: Fifteen Portland cops—including Capt. Mark Kruger, the officer that still has his job even though he built a shrine to Nazis—are paid in excess of $200,000 grand per year. Just another of the million reasons why Portland's police system is irreversibly broken... and getting worse.
San Francisco is creating and preparing to deploy teams of professionals from the fire and health departments — not police — to respond to most calls for people in a psychiatric, behavioral or substance abuse crisis. https://t.co/eHOoGMII4N— OPB (@OPB) October 19, 2020
• The board of the Portland NAACP has voted for the immediate resignation of their president, E.D. Mondainé—the subject of a Mercury investigation in which he is accused of multiple acts of sexual, physical, and psychological abuse. At this point he has refused to resign, and our Alex Zielinski has more.
• As you probably noticed, Portland's small shops, restaurants, and businesses are in deep doo-doo. However YOU CAN HELP, and it's not even that hard! Check out tons of tips in this guest editorial from Sarah Shaoul, the founder of PDXSOS.
Multnomah County turnout for Oct 19. 68,932 votes, 12% turnout.
At the same point in 2016 there were 21,452 votes, 4% turnout.https://t.co/AjgLXA5MOW pic.twitter.com/dnrHkoDayd
— John Horvick (@horvick) October 19, 2020
IN NATIONAL NEWS
• Because he somehow thinks that acting like a blithering imbecile will help him win the election, Trump continues to inflict damage on himself—this time by insulting Dr. Anthony Fauci, calling him a "disaster," a "bomb," and that if Fauci had been in charge, more than 500,000 people would be dead. Oh, and... Trump also insulted his pitching arm?
• Trump's Supreme Court announced it will hear a case that accuses Trump of diverting $2.5 billion from a Pentagon counterdrug program to build a 100 miles of his racist border wall. Wonder how Trump's Supreme Court will rule?
The Justice Department, in an unusual claim, said President Trump couldn’t be sued for denying a rape accusation because his statement was an official act. E. Jean Carroll sued Trump for defamation after he denied sexually assaulting her in the 1990s.https://t.co/eQU3xb64Cr— The New York Times (@nytimes) October 19, 2020
• With less than three days before the next debate (and after chickening out of the last one, BAWK BAWK BAWK), Trump wants the entire format of the debate changed because he thinks the commission is "pro-Biden." (Maybe they're just "con-interrupting chickens"? BAWK BAWK BAWK!)
• Today in "Zoom Fouls": New Yorker writer and TV pundit Jeffrey Toobin has been suspended from the mag after he reportedly exposed himself on a company Zoom call.
• Meanwhile in "huh... that's a weird coincidence" news: Coronavirus rates have skyrocketed in North and South Dakota, Wyoming, Minnesota, and Montana, mere weeks after the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally that attracted 500,000 unmasked yahoos (including Smash Mouth).
50 Cent endorses Trump for President after seeing Biden's alleged tax plans.https://t.co/ikmhRZIvTG— HotNewHipHop (@HotNewHipHop) October 19, 2020
• Find out what it's like to be on the front lines of Portland's nightly protests against systemic racism and police brutality with our livestream event/forum, "Eyes on the Ground: A Conversation With Portland's Protest Journalists and Documentarians"—coming at you Tuesday, October 27 at 7 pm. GET THOSE TIX NOW!
• In these terrifying times, don't you need a good, wholesome scare? Get your tickets now for SLAY—the short, eight-minute-or-less HORROR film festival from the makers of HUMP! Streaming right now through the 31st! (Interested in getting out more? Then come to the SLAY Drive-In at Oaks Park! Details here!)
• The WEATHER REPORT: Cloudy tomorrow with a chance of a shower and a high of 59!
• And finally, a visual representation of how people cast their ballots when they believe their votes are going to be suppressed.