Whooo! You're a BUSY BEE. Look, it's completely understandable that since you've been SO busy, you may have missed some of the great reporting and stories the Mercury churned out this week! So while you're lounging about this weekend, catch up on the knowledge you need by reading some of these A+++ Mercury articles! (PRO TIP: If you despise being "the last to know," then be one of the first to know by signing up for Mercury newsletters! All the latest stories shipped directly to your email's in-box... and then... YOUR HEAD.)
• Proud Boy "Tiny" Toese Jailed for August 22 Actions
Proud Boy "Tiny" Toese has been jailed for his actions during an August 22, 2021 violent right-wing protest in Portland.
• Judge Deems Mayor Wheeler's 2020 Protest Curfew to be Unconstitutional
A county judge dismissed a protester's criminal charges this week because the charges were all based on what he ruled to be a flawed curfew order from Wheeler.
• Union Accuses City Managers of Interfering with Strike Vote
A union representing 1,200 city of Portland employees has accused city managers of messing with a current strike vote.
• Film Review: Drive My Car Deserves All the Praise
The sublime and understated "Drive My Car," directed with a masterful hand by Ryûsuke Hamaguchi, is something truly special.
• Most Officers Who Used Force During 2020 Protests Have Been Cleared By the City of Misconduct. Here’s Why.
Information tucked into a new legal filing explains why the city's department responsible for investigating police misconduct has found nothing wrong with the way cops treated protesters in 2020.
• Savage Love: Fast and Furious
Get yer motors running! It's a "Fast & Furious" edition of Savage Love, as Dan Savage expeditiously answers a slew of thorny questions involving spanking, topping, circumcision, the ethics of cheating, and more.
• Hear in Portland: Two New Must-See Videos, A Stellar Lineup at The Thesis, and an Upcoming Federale Project
You have things to look forward to! Including an incredible show at The Thesis, plus new music from Wynne and Esperanza Spalding (and a special guest appearance from Federale).
• Ninkasi Taps Acclaimed Bartender Jeffrey Morgenthaler for a New Line of Canned Cocktails
Acclaimed barkeep Jeffrey Morgenthaler was tapped by Ninkasi to produce a line of new canned cocktails, and the results are expectedly DELIGHTFUL.
• Federal Officials Order ODOT to Reevaluate Environmental Impacts of Rose Quarter Freeway Project
Federal transportation officials ordered ODOT to reevaluate the environmental impacts of the I-5 Rose Quarter project this week. Opponents of the freeway project believe the reassessment could pave the way for a more rigorous environmental study.
• POP QUIZ PDX: "Spice Up Your Life" with Portland's Funnest Quiz!
Hey brainy pants! It's time for the newest edition of POP QUIZ PDX, this week featuring lots of local bad behavior, tidal wave Qs, and a special "subjective question" about... the Spice Girls! SPICE UP YOUR BRAIN!
WOW, THAT IS A LOT OF GOOD READIN'. I hope you didn't have any other plans this weekend! Dig in, and remember: Producing all this hard work costs moolah—so please consider contributing to the Mercury to keep it all coming! Thanks!