Update 9:35 PM: Police report that they've arrested the man in the standoff, after firing tear gas into the home after negotiators tried and failed to coax him out. Police say the man was taken to a hospital to be treated for minor injuries, possibly suffered during the car crash and chase that preceded the standoff. According to the cops:

Crisis Negotiators attempted to make contact with the suspect by loud-hailing the house and calling various phone numbers. Negotiators were able to learn of the suspects identity from information received at the scene.

After approximately 2 hours of attempting to get the suspect to answer the phone or leave the house, SERT deployed chemical munitions into the residence at approximately 7:15 p.m.

Within 5 minutes of the house filling with gas, the suspect came to the front door and crawled out to officers giving commands. The suspect was taken into custody and was transported to an area hospital with minor injuries.

Update 7:45 PM: The O says something like 14 explosions rang out near the home involved in the standoff about half an hour ago. This was "shortly after police had said they might try to use tear gas" to drive the 28-year-old suspect from of the house, which they report was apparently chosen by the man randomly. The suspect also may have gang ties.

Update 5:15 PM: KGW has the backstory behind what still seems to be a standoff with police in way, way outer Southeast:

Police spokesman Sergeant Pete Simpson "said an officer tried to pull over a car believed to be stolen on SE Foster Road, when the driver took off and later crashed the car near SE 158th and Foster.

A short time later, neighbors on SE Martins reported a bloody man on their porch. The two people from the home left the scene. One was injured, although there were no reports of anybody hit with gunfire.

As officers arrived, two shots were reported to have come from the house where the suspect was believed to be. Neighbors were asked to stay indoors, police said.

KATU says one of the shots fired from the house nearly hit officers and also reports that hostage negotiators are talking to the suspect, who's still in the house.

Update 4:10 PM: Not long after this first post, the Oregonian said there were reports of someone in custody after police surrounded the house and that cops are "continuing to investigate if the gunshots were at officers or the result of a confrontation inside the residence."

Original post starts here: This just flashed over from the Portland Police Bureau:

The Portland Police Bureau's Special Emergency Reaction Team (SERT) is responding to a man shooting at police officers from a residence in the 15800 of Southeast Martins Street.

SERT is Portland's version of the SWAT team—they don't show up unless it's serious. And this is serious. Stay tuned to this space for more details.