- Kevin Mazur/WireImage
- Tim Rice, JC Chasez, Johnny Fucking Rotten, Ben Forster, Michelle Williams, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Brandon Boyd
No matter what you're thinking, it isn't this. Mister John Lydon, punk godfather... is coming to Portland's biggest venue... as part of a touring arena production of Jesus Christ Superstar. He will be playing King Herod.
This bewildering news alone is enough to turn brain into oatmeal, but look at the rest of the cast:
• Michelle Williams of Destiny's Child as Mary Magdalene
• JC Chasez of N*Sync as Pontius Pilate
• Brandon Boyd from Incubus as Judas Iscariot
• Ben Forster (some guy who won some show) as Jesus Christ
This production of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice's rock opera from the early '70s (not gonna front, the original double album that preceded the Broadway show still holds up) has been inflated to arena size, and judging by the looks of this video, they've modernized it with lots of pointed, up-to-the-minute social commentary. This looks like it's gonna be the hottest of messes.
The Jesus Christ Superstar Arena Spectacular Starring the Former Lead Singer of the Sex Pistols, the Dude from Incubus, a Destiny's Child, and One of the Other Guys of N*Sync Who Isn't Justin Timberlake hits the Moda Center on Sunday, July 13. Tickets run $39.50-174.50 (plus fees). Info is at the Rose Quarter's site.