The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support!
GOOD AFTERNOON, PORTLAND! Heeeeey, if you're the type of person who likes "sexy," do not miss this weekend's final streaming edition of the 2022 HUMP! Film Festival! You can watch it in the comfort of your own home... or if you prefer, boudoir! (Ooh-la-la!) Now let's get down with some NEWS.
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• It's a lawsuit hat trick for violent repeat offender Portland police detective Erik Kammerer, who is being sued for the third time (!!) for the vicious way he has treated protesters. Our Alex Zielinski has the details.
Pretty sure the City and Erik Kammerer are arguing here that they’d arrest your baby for drooling on the street. pic.twitter.com/qbUAPZND0V
— Juan C Chavez (@inafutureage) May 17, 2022
• Related: The family of Kevin Peterson Jr.—the 21-year-old Black man who was killed in Vancouver by deputies as he ran away from them—are filing a wrongful death suit against the Clark County Sheriff's Office.
• You won't want to miss this terrific long-read from our Alex Zielinski which looks into a controversial new program from progressive MultCo DA Mike Schmidt... which might actually be more "REgressive" than he might think!
A small group of protestors has organized in front of the Clackamas County elections building to protest the lack of election results a week since Oregon's primary ended. pic.twitter.com/BRzkvezpja
— April Ehrlich (@AprilEhrlich) May 25, 2022
• If you're wondering how that calamitous mix-up happened in which some Oregon CBD products had actual THC in them (sending some customers to the hospital from overdoses), the O has tracked down what could have been the cause: an employee who "confused two similar buckets with nearly identical identification numbers."
• Get ready for the most SCANDALOUS edition yet of POP QUIZ PDX, featuring hilarious trivia Qs about local conservative dimwits, the guardians of Chinatown, and some very, VERY naughty individuals! 😲
IN NATIONAL/WORLD NEWS:
• Here's the latest from the tragic elementary school massacre in Texas: Local police are under fire as parents are accusing members of the force for waiting almost an hour to rush in and save their children from the shooter who entered the school unobstructed and murdered 19 children and two teachers. Experts assert the cops were working against protocol. (Remind me again what we pay these people for?) Meanwhile, Republicans of all stripes—but particularly those in the Senate—are staunchly refusing to bring any new gun legislation to the floor for debate... probably so they don't lose those sweet NRA donations.
After a few minutes of increasingly urgent goading, Angeli Rose Gomez, who has a second- and third-grader at Robb Elementary School, alleges that federal marshals handcuffed her because she was intervening in an active investigation. https://t.co/m7bPPvXQy1
— The Daily Beast (@thedailybeast) May 26, 2022
Joe Garcia, the husband of Irma Garcia, one of two teachers shot and killed in Uvalde, TX on Tuesday, has reportedly suffered a fatal heart attack. Joe and Irma were high school sweethearts and married 24 years. They leave behind four children. pic.twitter.com/Rlk0M2B8nR
— Ernie Zuniga (@Ernie_Zuniga) May 26, 2022
• This tracks: "Abbott said the shooter had a 'mental health' issue. A month ago, he slashed funding to help."
At a press conference Thursday the CDC confirmed that there are nine cases of the monkeypox virus in the U.S. across seven states. #monkeypox #MonkeyPoxIsAirborne #USA #MonkeypoxVirus #Monkeypoxalypse #Health #healthcare #outside #outdoors #Quarantine https://t.co/AqFqAS1Moh
— Maggie Valenti (@MaggieValenti0) May 26, 2022
• Today in HA-HA-HA: Former President Trump AND his two corrupt children are being ordered to sit and answer questions in regards to the New York AG's investigation into the family's wicked shady biz practices.
Ray Liotta, “Goodfellas” star, has died at 67. In 2015, @davidlsims reflected on the actor's performance in the gangster film: “Liotta has probably never been better—wormy … and yet somehow sympathetic.” https://t.co/sdpZPYBLoJ
— The Atlantic (@TheAtlantic) May 26, 2022
• Actor Kevin Spacey (House of Cards, The Usual Suspects) will be charged in the UK with four counts of sexual assault against three men.
• And finally... it may take some effort, but do something nice for someone today! (We all need it!)
struggle is real pic.twitter.com/KaqIcQzX0K
— ViralPosts (@ViralPosts5) May 26, 2022