The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support!
GOOD AFTERNOON, PORTLAND! Expect lotsa rain and cool temps (with highs ranging from 56 to 60) until further notice... and yet? SO MANY Portlanders still wearing shorts! I salute those shorts... and welcome you to the NEWS.
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• According to a new poll from the Oregonian, 61 percent of Portlanders who have never apparently suffered from a "big problem" call graffiti a "big problem."
• Alert! 🚨 Here's your chance to comment on Mayor Wheeler's vague, unfunded plan to criminalize homelessness. 👇👇👇
The public can comment on this proposal before city council this Wednesday (Oct 26) afternoon at 2 pm. Learn more & sign up for testimony here: https://t.co/A59I9KBVaE https://t.co/WE7XEQUCdi— Alex Zielinski (@alex_zee) October 24, 2022
• REASON #3,456 NOT TO VOTE FOR RENE GONZALEZ: Besides being wildly inexperienced, cruel, an election law breaker, and propping up right-wing causes, if Rene Gonzalez is elected, we will have FOUR people on city council (out of five!) whose main priority is protecting the wealthy business interests of Portland. His too-quick, thoughtless support of Wheeler's unfunded, vague plan to criminalize homelessness flatly proves Gonzalez will happily say "Sir, yes, sir!" to any dangerous proposal that pops out of the mouths of the Portland Business Alliance and the utterly corrupt police union. (BTW, a city council stacked with puppets is another great reason to vote HELL YES to charter reform, and, of course, a DOUBLE HELL YES for Jo Ann Hardesty.) Have a great day! 😀
• Related: The Oregonian has published an internal review that sheds light on the paper's loooong history of racism, as well as its current editor's thoughts on how they're trying to do better. That's great... sincerely, good for them. But as long as they're doing all this self-examination, here's a suggestion: One way for media organizations to combat racism is to stop platforming, centering, and most of all ENDORSING the groups who are clearly profiting from and upholding systemic racism, and the people they support. But... you gotta start somewhere, right? So good job! (Two and a half out of four stars.)
Since 2017, 17 people have died in crashes on Powell Boulevard. Four people have been killed so far this year. In addition to a school zone that will lower the speed limit, city and state transportation leaders are pledging to make the state highway safer. https://t.co/fpndbQ0kvV— Portland Tribune (@ThePortlandTrib) October 24, 2022
• Hey, here's some great news! The Portland Thorns—who have put up with so much in the past few years—scored a last-minute, fantastic 2-1 win against the San Diego Wave, and so will head for the National Women’s Soccer League championship next weekend! WOO-HOOOO! (See? I don't always share terrible news!)
If you've been obsessed with AI generated art, did you know that electro-pop pioneers YACHT made a whole album that way? They then had to reverse engineer the music to play it live.https://t.co/oR7OC8UWej— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) October 24, 2022
• Ready to get messy? Dig through this week's most delicious trash with THE TRASH REPORT from our Elinor Jones! Including: The Taylor Swift/Liz Truss connection, mysterious celeb salad dressings, and Steve Bannon fucks around—then finds out.
Hey sex pots! This Wednesday is your LAST CHANCE to catch the 2022 edition of HUMP! (America's sweetest li'l porn festival.) Get them tix!https://t.co/IIQRXRNx8p— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) October 24, 2022
IN NATIONAL/WORLD NEWS:
• Congrats (?!) to Rishi Sunak, who has become the third Prime Minister of England in seven weeks, and will join those lobsters in a pot of boiling water in an effort to steady the country's fumbling economy. Good luck, he will need it!
• Trump's Supreme Court strikes again:
Breaking News: Justice Clarence Thomas temporarily shielded Senator Lindsey Graham from having to testify in the Georgia election interference inquiry. https://t.co/WefiiKscmA— The New York Times (@nytimes) October 24, 2022
• Yet another school shooting: This one left three dead, including the shooter, and injured numerous others at a high school in St. Louis.
• After being dumped by his fashion house (Balenciaga) and his Hollywood representation (CAA), shoe giant Adidas is facing growing pressure to cut ties with Kanye West for his antisemitic comments and general asshole behavior.
A federal judge sentenced Hunter Seefried—one of the first insurrectionists to break into the Capitol on Jan. 6 with his Confederate flag-waving father, Kevin Seefried—to two years in prison on Monday. https://t.co/US0izcjS05— The Daily Beast (@thedailybeast) October 24, 2022
• RIP the oh-so-beloved Leslie Jordan (Designing Women) who repeatedly cheered me up during the pandemic with his hilariously sweet Instagram posts, and died today following a car crash in Hollywood. To say "he will be missed" is a devastating understatement.
• And finally... if you feel like falling in love today, here ya go.
The kids from Uganda are here to CUFF IT up pic.twitter.com/Kx7ZWDI0aJ— Hermaden (@IChoseViolences) October 23, 2022