The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support!
GOOD AFTERNOON, PORTLAND! If you love a festive, holiday cocktail, get ready to crap your pants in glee... for the Mercury's HOLIDAY DRINK WEEK is happening RIGHT NOW! Get all sorts of creative, holiday-themed fancy cocktails concocted by your fave Portland bartenders... and get this: They're only $7 each! But hurry, hurry—the fun ends this coming Sunday, December 4. Now let's drink up some partially festive NEWS.
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• HELLO to Portland's screeching wealthy people who cannot be convinced that the city and county are making headway in getting the homeless off the streets and into permanent housing. Check out the opening sentence from this OPB article about the voter-approved supportive housing fund: "In its first year, Metro’s supportive housing fund placed 1,669 people into homes." 💥 An oversight committee will now look into the fund to see if even more improvements can be made, but WOW. Wave this in the face of the next willfully ignorant rich person you see screaming at a cloud.
• Related: Despite little interest from the county, and against the advice of actual experts (who weren't even asked), on Wednesday, City Council is expected to pass a $27 million “down payment” for the six internment camps described in Mayor Wheeler and Commish Ryan's plan to criminalize the homeless. They say this money would build and operate three of the camps for one year. Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty was the lone voice of reason who voted against it. (Too bad she was voted out of office, only to be replaced by a puppet from Portland's wealthy "Screaming at Clouds Committee.")
• Attention snow bunnies:
15” of snow has blanketed parts of the Cascades…all three major ski resorts in Oregon are expected to be open by midweek. #kgw #kgwweather #November #pacnw pic.twitter.com/QqqmtMRBMN— Joe Raineri ☔️🎥 📺 (@JoeRaineriWX) November 28, 2022
• Despite a court ruling that struck the idea down in Washington County, Multnomah County is still heavily considering throwing caution to the wind and creating a ban on the sale of all flavored nicotine products in a bid to stop the county's kids from getting so easily hooked on this addictive garbage.
• Police have been called in to investigate a suspicious death after a body was found inside a building that burned down on Sunday night in the Lloyd District.
• Calling all trash pandas! 🦝 It's time for the hilarious new edition of THE TRASH REPORT by the hilarious Elinor Jones! This week: Salt & Straw's new "PANIC!" flavor, look out for "Kevin the Turkey," and Ellen's got a new skincare line for mean people. 🤔
Shake yourself out of your turkey-induced stupor because the holiday season is officially in full swing. This week brings top events from The 1975 to Patti Smith: Songs & Stories and from A John Waters Christmas to Portland Mercury's Holiday Drink Week. https://t.co/Jgl8GRzQOk— EverOut Portland (@EverOutPortland) November 28, 2022
IN NATIONAL/WORLD NEWS:
• China's possible leader for life, Xi Jinping, is not making any friends with his oppressive, long-running “zero COVID” strategy which is sending thousands of demonstrators into the streets in cities across the country, calling for Xi's resignation.
• Republican leaders in rural Cochise County in Arizona are refusing to certify the results of the 2022 election—even though there were no irregularities detected with the vote. (So now they're just doing it out of habit?)
A protester holding a rainbow flag and wearing a shirt saying 'Respect For Iranian Women' ran onto the pitch during a game between Portugal and Uruguay at the #FIFAWorldCup in Qatar https://t.co/IegVOz0i8K pic.twitter.com/OzTjeOrLT5— Reuters (@Reuters) November 28, 2022
• Former professional liar for Donald Trump, Kellyanne Conway, reportedly sat in front of the January 6 investigatory committee today, testifying for five hours even though she left the Trump administration months before the domestic terrorist attack on the capitol. 🍿
• Headline: ‘Gaslighting’ is Merriam-Webster’s word of the year for 2022. (Uh-huh. That is exactly what they want us to believe!)
I know nothing about selling advertising but I'm pretty sure this is not how you do it. pic.twitter.com/3yTpEkZQeV— Jarrett Walker @email@example.com (@humantransit) November 28, 2022
• And finally... I'm sorry, but this was actually helpful.
How to find Kentucky on the map pic.twitter.com/WTggL1xobC— Terrible Maps (@TerribleMaps) November 27, 2022