The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support!
GOOD MORNING, PORTLAND! Expect another gorgeously sunny day with highs in the mid-80s, and cooling down a touch as some clouds drift in over the weekend. Now let's Tokyo Drift (still the best Fast & Furious movie) into some NEWS!
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• Second time could be the charm: The Interstate 5 bridge project—which would replace the bridge between Portland and Vancouver—hit a major milestone this week and is advancing to a federal environmental review process... despite significant pushback from environmental activists and skeptical local leaders. Our Isabella Garcia explains it all for you!
People gathered today in Portland to call for a focused response to an increase in hate crimes perpetrated against Asian Americans. https://t.co/8tkMtyznvM— OPB (@OPB) July 15, 2022
• The US Air Guitar Nationals comes to Portland this weekend, and Elinor Jones has a sweet, hilarious profile of one of its air-shredding competitors.
• On Wednesday the Portland Clean Energy Fund asked city council to approve $107 million in green energy grants—but you'd best believe the council had A LOT of tough questions for the organization following a series of criticisms about the voter-approved program. Our Isabella Garcia has the story.
Put on those smarty trousers! It's time to play POP QUIZ PDX—this week featuring quizzical trivia Qs about visiting blimps, the films of Gus Van Sant, and the Northwest's infamous turd, Patriot Prayer's Joey Gibson! LET'S GET BRAINY. 🤓https://t.co/tQTTpmQ82e— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) July 14, 2022
• Look, you're hungry, right? Then DO NOT SLEEP on the Mercury’s NACHO WEEK: $6 plates of creative nachos from some of the most skillful snack makers around town—but, hurry, hurry... it all ends THIS Sunday, July 17!
IN NATIONAL/WORLD NEWS:
• Democratic traitor Sen. Joe Manchin has done it again, and is refusing to support funding for President Biden's climate and energy programs, as well as taking a poop on the president's idea for raising taxes on the wealthy and corporations. This pretty much sinks Biden and the Democrat's agenda, that rat bastard.
A judge in Colorado has issued an arrest warrant for Tina Peters, the Republican Mesa County clerk who was barred from overseeing elections after she was indicted on charges of tampering with election equipment and official misconduct. https://t.co/0aL8D1BqVI— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) July 15, 2022
• Well, this doesn't sound good: The Secret Service allegedly erased text messages dated January 5th and 6th after an investigation was launched into their response during the January 6 attack on the nation's capitol.
• Jayland Walker, the Black man killed by Ohio cops following a chase last month, was shot 46 (!!) times by officers according to the medical examiner.
• Saaaad trommmbooooone:
Rep. Lauren Boebert’s gun-themed Shooters Grill closes in Rifle, Colo.https://t.co/NpsZrUOabW— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) July 14, 2022
• Despite clearly saying he wouldn't, Biden is scheduled to meet with Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman today, even after previously calling him a "pariah" for the 2018 murder of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi. Possibly related: Democrats are reportedly searching around for a possible Biden replacement in 2024.
• And finally... wonder if she meows backwards?
this episode of twin peaks was insane pic.twitter.com/VtGdrg7HpA— bella (@poisintree) July 14, 2022