The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support!
GOOD MORNING, PORTLAND! Screw off, autumn! Because we can once again expect sunny skies and the objectively perfect temperature of 85 this weekend. (Apologies to your cable-knit sweaters.) Now let's cable-knit some NEWS!
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• Last night supporters and opponents of the upcoming Charter Reform ballot measure that YOU will vote on in November came together for a debate—and it was co-moderated by the Mercury's own Alex Zielinski and the O's Shane Kavanaugh! Want to be the smartest person in the room when it comes to Charter Reform? THEN WATCH THIS.
Billionaire Nike co-founder Phil Knight has spent $2 million to help Oregon Republicans retake state Legislature. https://t.co/fXtNOlr3pf— OPB (@OPB) September 29, 2022
• Bad news for City Council candidate Rene Gonzalez: The city elections office told the candidate that, actually, he DID clearly violate small donor election laws after accepting—and failing to report—a whopping 96 percent discounted rental rate for a campaign office offered by local moneybags Jordan Schnitzer, and (saaaad trommmbone) will have to pay his historic fine. Man, it SUCKS when rules also apply to you!
• According to UCLA researchers, last summer's extreme heat event in Portland was apparently a once-in-10,000-years (!) incident, but it was even hotter due to... you guessed it... climate change.
Let's go, smarty pants! It's time for the newest edition of the super-fun trivia game, POP QUIZ PDX. This week: quizzy Qs about shady Portland tycoons, local killer robots, and the many reasons why autumn BLOWS.🧠https://t.co/NEtIaDQgLI— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) September 29, 2022
• Traffic note! The Portland Marathon will be taking to certain streets this Sunday, so plan your transportation route carefully or do like me and cheer on the runners while passing out shots of bourbon.
Catch "Microphone Fiend" Marlon Wayans on his stand-up tour this December. https://t.co/MDkX3hKiJZ— EverOut Portland (@EverOutPortland) September 29, 2022
IN NATIONAL/WORLD NEWS:
• Whoooo-wheee, Vladimir Putin really seems to be going off the rails if his latest belligerent speech is any indication; while bragging about his corrupt annexation of parts of Ukraine, he also railed against western "despotism" and "Satanism." (Takes one to know one?)
• Meanwhile the White House has leveled even more sanctions against Putin's Russia in retaliation of his illegal annexation of parts of Ukraine.
CBCI congratulates The Honorable Kentaji Brown Jackson on her confirmation to the United States Supreme Court! She has cemented her place in history as the first Black woman to don the robe of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court since its first assembly in 1790. pic.twitter.com/ast7DS6JCv— Congressional Black Caucus Institute (@CBCInstitute) April 7, 2022
• President Biden has declared a preemptive state of emergency for South Carolina as Hurricane Ian continues its devastating journey up the coast, flooding the city of Charleston. The full blast of the storm is expected to hit the state Friday night. Meanwhile in Florida, at least 21 people have been reported dead due to the hurricane.
• Trump-appointed judge, Aileen Cannon, has (surprise!) once again sided with Trump in his continuing fight against the FBI's Mar-a-Lago raid. This time she has rejected the order from special master Raymond J. Dearie who wanted Trump's lawyers to prove that the FBI had planted evidence, saying, "Naaaaaaah, you guys don't have to do that. By the way, where are you taking me to lunch today?"
Behold! Our closest view of Jupiter's ocean moon Europa in 22 years https://t.co/AMvaCrU2bh pic.twitter.com/4Z6fW8j80N— SPACE.com (@SPACEdotcom) September 30, 2022
• After seven years on the air, comedian Trevor Noah announced he will be leaving The Daily Show to continue his comedy career.
• And finally, gotta go... AND FIND THESE SHIRTS.
Obsessed with these shirts from 1993 pic.twitter.com/64xUi5nQm7— Becca Lewis (@beccalew) September 29, 2022