Welcome to the PNW! Assuming you've made it through the Winter and haven't fled, I have a little insider info for you. We have earthworms here. All over, up and down the Willamette Valley. If you see one, do Not pick it up to "save it". These are an alien species that easily succumb to the parasite Willamnama lithiumae. If you see one out of the ground it's not because "it must have really rained last night". It's because the parasite needs to complete its cycle. Early Spring is prime conditions for the human to worm contact where it burrows into your skin or sets up shop on one of your mucous membranes. Remember, that worm in the gutter needs help, but you can't help it. Stay safe.
The views expressed in these submissions are from anonymous, unverified sources and do not necessarily represent those of the Portland Mercury.