GOOD MORNING, SUNDAY! It's the perfect time to catch up on some of the great reporting and stories the Mercury churned out this week! (PRO TIP: If you despise being "the last to know," then be one of the first to know by signing up for Mercury newsletters! All the latest stories shipped directly to your email's in-box... and then... YOUR HEAD.)
• After Homeless Shelter Ballot Measure Rejected, People for Portland Files a Nearly Identical Proposal
People for Portland is back with another ballot initiative that... huh. It looks pretty identical to the one that Metro's legal team REJECTED last week.
• People for Portland Ballot Initiative Still Doesn't Meet Constitutional Requirements, Attorney Rules
UPDATE: People for Portland's ballot measure fails AGAIN. (Will they go for a failure hat trick?)
• “This Is Going to Be the Best Pickathon Ever;” Behold, the Full 2022 Lineup!
Pickathon lineup drop! After a two-year, COVID-induced hiatus, Pickathon finally returns with a forest full of incredible, wide-ranging acts. Check them out here!
• An Exit Interview With Mayor Wheeler's Longest-Tenured Staffer, Seraphie Allen
Reflections (and some of 'em are SPICY) on working for Portland's most divisive politician from Mayor Wheeler's most veteran staffer, Seraphie Allen.
• THE TRASH REPORT: The Week's Best Gossip
What does the fox say? "GRRR I WANT HUMAN FLESH." Also, "Don't miss this week's gossip-packed edition of THE TRASH REPORT. I personally found it amusing!"
• Suspended Portland Teacher Accuses School District of Retaliation
A Portland Public Schools teacher is alleging the district placed him on leave in retaliation for speaking out against the district’s plans to relocate Harriet Tubman Middle School.
• Savage Love: Clap Back
The age-old question: "Are my 20 friends who contracted gonorrhea at a hotel sex party being too nonchalant?" Dan Savage and a guest expert provide the answer in the latest SAVAGE LOVE!
• Portland Student Maddy Heide Finds DIY Success as Canary Room
Maddy Heide's 2021 EP "Christine" was recorded in a Southeast Portland backyard, and it's not hard to imagine that—along with birdsong—she also captured the warmth of the sun.
• POP QUIZ PDX: Portland's Sassiest Local Trivia Quiz!
Hello from the FUTURE! It's time for another super fun POP QUIZ PDX, this week featuring quizzy Qs about Portland news, the worst karaoke songs, and futuristic cars (from the past)! BEEP! BEEP! 🤖
WOW, THAT IS A LOT OF GOOD READIN'. I hope you didn't have any other plans this weekend! Dig in, and remember: Producing all this hard work costs moolah—so please consider contributing to the Mercury to keep it all coming! Thanks!