After days on the run, and a manhunt that included L.A. cops mistakenly shooting at a vehicle that looked like the one driven by the suspect, the L.A. Times is reporting that fugitive ex-cop Christopher Dorner was in an alleged shoot-out with Big Bear officers this afternoon.

The shooting occurred after Dorner burglarized a home, tied up a couple and stole a white pickup truck, sources said. San Bernardino County sheriff's spokeswoman Jodi Miller confirmed deputies responded to a vehicle theft about 12:20 p.m., and the resident who reported the theft said the suspect matched Dorner's description.

The U.S. Forest Service confirms there was an exchange of gunfire between officers on foot and the suspect, in the Santa Ana River drainage, north of State Highway 38 and south of Big Bear Valley. At least one officer of the California Department of Fish and Wildlife was involved, said John Miller, San Bernardino National Forest spokesman. That officer is not believed to be injured.

Dorner's status was not immediately known as the gunfight continued.

The most recent updates claim that Dorner is inside a cabin, surrounded by police. More updates to come.

UPDATE 2:25 PM: More details from the L.A. Times regarding Dorner's chase with authorities, and how he is currently in a cabin surrounded by police.

Dorner crashed the truck during the ensuing chase and exchanged gunfire with the officers as he fled into another cabin, where he was quickly surrounded by San Bernardino Sheriff’s deputies. One deputy was hit as Dorner fired out of the cabin and then a second was wounded when Dorner exited the back of the cabin, deployed a smoke bomb and opened fire again in an apparent attempt to flee. Dorner was driven back inside the cabin, where it appears he is pinned down, the source said.

The extent of the deputies’ injuries is unknown.

UPDATE 3:25 PM: From the L.A. Times twitter feed:


UPDATE 3:45 PM: One of the deputies who was shot during the shootout with Dorner has died from his wounds.



UPDATE 5:50 PM: From the L.A. Times:

According to a law enforcement source, police had broken down windows, pumped in tear gas and blasted a loud speaker urging Dorner to give up. When they got no response, police deployed a vehicle to rip down the walls of cabin "one by one, like peeling an onion," one law enforcement official said.

By the time they got to the last wall, authorities heard a single gunshot, the source said. Then flames began to spread through the structure. Then, they heard gunshots likely set off by the fire.

Dorner's body has not been found.