AT SIX YEARS, Content at the Ace Hotel has become something of a tradition. Giving over a floor of the hotel's rooms to emerging Portland designers, who create multimedia installations, it's a well-attended, hobnobby affair that boosts the profile of these small, eclectic businesses.
This year's event was somewhat downsized, but it was also the most diverse. What originated with a focus on apparel and accessory goods has expanded to include (hair) sculpture, apothecary, housewares, and even cannabis-infused ice cream. Highlights included the Reiki-healing room by Topaz apothecary, hilarious dioramas depicting iconic Portland by WWJJD (whose clothing features the PDX carpet print), Brady Lange turning himself into a living paper doll, and the debut of a limited-edition collaboration between menswear designer John Blasioli and Bridge & Burn.
Check out photos from all the rooms this week on blogtown.portlandmercury.com.
• West End Select Shop is hosting a trunk show for multimedia artist/designer Haley Ann Robinson's ceramic work, which focuses on functional (and oh hey, gift-able) pieces: bowls, planters, plates, and the like. Plus, refreshments and 10 percent off regular merch. West End Select Shop, 927 SW Oak, Thurs Nov 19, 5-8 pm
• One of the highlights of this year's Content was the debut of a handsome menswear collaboration between John Blasioli (whose résumé includes the Pendleton Portland Collection) and Bridge & Burn. Tonight marks the proper bash, where you can shop the extremely limited-edition capsule, all sewn personally by Blasioli in his Southeast Portland studio. Bridge & Burn, 1122 SW Morrison, Thurs Nov 19, 6-9 pm
• Mercantile is hosting the Swedish-designed, USA-made Strom collection this week, with $25 off Strom purchases for the duration. Mercantile, 729 SW Alder, Thurs Nov 19-Sun Nov 22
• The Portland Night Market is generating tons of buzz right now, as the city discovers this multiculturally inspired opportunity to discover the diverse range of products and food located in the Central Eastside Industrial District—and under the stars, at that. Portland Night Market, 100 SE Alder, Fri Nov 20, 4-10 pm, Sat Nov 21, noon-10 pm
• The collection of shops in the 811 E Burnside complex is a particularly harmonious experience these days, and relatively new additions SIX/SEVEN and Seven Sisters deserve their share of credit. This weekend they celebrate their one-year anniversary with a joint party featuring "savory treats," wine, a DJ, and select discounts. Best neighbors. SIX/SEVEN & Seven Sisters, 811 E Burnside, Sat Nov 21, 4-8 pm
• It's one of the most anticipated sales of the year: Frances May's annual warehouse sale, where you can find up to 90 percent off past seasons' merch for men and women. Not to be missed! The Cleaners at Ace Hotel, 403 SW 10th, Sun Nov 22, noon-4 pm
• Altar continues to own its updated rocker identity with a pre-Black Friday event called—of course—Black Sunday. It features the chance to shop moody wares from vendors like Honeyfox Jewelry, Rock & Rose, CobraCult, and Iron Oxide Designs... soundtracked by a lineup of live music headlined by legendary Portland thrashers Lord Dying. Eagles Lodge, 4904 SE Hawthorne, Sun Nov 22, 3-10 pm, $8, all ages