Area of flat concrete, chalk, and a rubber ball. You can chalk out your own court at a park (Irving Park and Mt. Tabor have good spaces), or many elementary schools already have pre-painted courts.
Now, here are some fun variations on the game.
Old School Rules:
· Tea Party: Bounce the ball back and forth between one other person and server.
· Fairbacks: Playing gentle and nice.
· Around the World: Bouncing the ball clockwise around the court.
· Bubbles: Allows you to legally "carry" the ball by bouncing it in the air with your fingertips.
· Cherry Bomb: Forcefully slamming the ball into an opponent's square with both hands.
New School Rules:
· Old Crusty Sea Pirate: Jump on one foot and have one hand over your eye while you play.
· Pow Wow: Dance while playing.
· Twice-as-Nice: Allow the ball to bounce twice BEFORE hitting it back. (Also try thrice-as-nice!)
· Pele: Use only your legs, feet and head.
· Jump and Grunt: You must grunt and have your feet in the air while hitting the ball.