Here's your daily roundup of all the latest local and national news. (Like our coverage? Please consider making a recurring contribution to the Mercury to keep it comin'!)
• Local activists and protesters (including the NAVY vet who was beaten by feds for asking a question, and the young man snatched off the street in an unmarked van by DHS officers) are suing the Trump administration for allowing its agencies to use excessive force and illegal detentions to restrict the constitutional rights of Portland protesters. Our Alex Zielinski has more!
Gresham's city council held an emergency meeting ahead of the Proud Boys rally tonight east of Portland— Zane Sparling (@PDXzane) August 26, 2020
Councilors split on whether to remove their BLM flag.
"I might have 50 officers here tonight — but we will be outnumbered," said the police chiefhttps://t.co/ntpLEZtHyc
• Last night marked 90 consecutive days of protests in Portland since the murder of George Floyd by law enforcement. In response, Portland Police continued to show little interest in reducing the police brutality that inspired demonstrations in the first place.
• Ammon Bundy—the domestic terrorist who staged a takeover of the Malheur Wildlife Refuge—was arrested yesterday after refusing to leave the Idaho state house during a protest against measures that would protect people from the coronavirus.
• LOCAL SPORTS NOTE: The Portland Trail Blazers will NOT be playing game five tonight against the LA Lakers... keep reading our national stories to find out why!
IN NATIONAL NEWS:
• Two people were shot and killed while another was injured by a gunman at a protest last night in Kenosha, Wisconsin, the city where Jacob Blake was shot by police. A white 17-year-old named Kyle Rittenhouse has been taken into custody on suspicion of first-degree intentional homicide. (According to Buzzfeed, Rittenhouse was also seen in the front row of at Trump rally in January.)
According to reporting from @misstessowen, Kyle Rittenhouse was not only a frequent poster of "back the blue" content, but he actually participated in a cadet program intended to guide young adults into a policing career.https://t.co/ZAY8NRY7e8
— Ford Fischer (@FordFischer) August 26, 2020
• In the best "bubble sports" news you'll hear all day: Five minutes before game time today, the Milwaukie Bucks refused to take the floor against the Orlando Magic, saying they were would not be participating in the playoff game in response to the police shooting of Jacob Blake. Then, the Milwaukee Brewers and the Cincinnati Reds announced they were refusing to play, and THEN our beloved Blazers also joined the strike, AND THEN the NBA announced they were postponing Game 5 of the playoffs entirely.
• A federal health official says that the sudden change to CDC recommendations—in particular, advising asymptomatic people who have been in contact with those infected by the virus not to get tested—"came from the top down" (AKA the White House) and was instituted when Dr. Anthony Fauci was in the hospital under anesthesia and unable to advise those involved.
Anthony Fauci was in the operating room under general anesthesia last Thursday when the White House coronavirus task force approved the narrowing of CDC testing recommendations to exclude asymptomatic individuals, according to CNN's Sanjay Gupta.https://t.co/jMElICdEUx— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) August 26, 2020
• Hurricane Laura continues to intensify as it bears down on the coasts of Texas and Louisiana, and is now classified as a category 4 storm that, according to experts, could be "catastrophic" and "unsurvivable."
Jack Brewer, a member of Black Voices for Trump who is scheduled to speak at the Republican National Convention on Wednesday, was charged with insider trading by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission earlier this month.https://t.co/EtDtc3eTi8— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) August 26, 2020
• YOU NEED LAUGHS, RIGHT? Then don't miss TONIGHT'S livestream I, ANONYMOUS SHOW featuring the wildest anonymous confessions and rants from the famous I, Anonymous column that will be deliciously dissected by a hilarious panel of comedians including Simon Gibson, Steph Tovah, Ify Nwadiwe, and your host Kate Murphy! GET THEM TICKETS NOW, BABIES! The fun starts at 8 pm!
• THE WEATHER REPORT: It's gonna be yet another fine, sunny day tomorrow with a comfortable high of 83.
• And finally... remember concerts?
Me at a concert trying to find my friends after grabbing drinks from the bar👀— Aussies Doing Things (@aussiesdointhgs) August 26, 2020
🎥 IG carriesuedavenport pic.twitter.com/XE05GtZ89X