We need your help. The economic fallout of the coronavirus crisis is threatening our ability to keep producing the quality reporting you've come to love. If you’re able, please consider making a monthly contribution to the Mercury.
GOOD MORNING, PORTLAND! If somehow you knew that your love would be untrue, would you lie to me? And call me baby? LET'S GO TO PRESS.
• The accounts of officers who shot and killed Michael Forest Reinoehl—the man who confessed to killing Patriot Prayer supporter Aaron “Jay” Danielson during a downtown Portland protest in August—are getting shakier by the minute, and are leading people to believe they made no attempt to arrest the antifa member before killing him. According to eyewitnesses on the scene, the officers didn't identify themselves before gunning down Reinoehl with 30 bullets, and, contrary to what AG Bill Burr said, the gun of the deceased was still in his pocket.
With no body cameras or surveillance footage, local law enforcement deputized as U.S. Marshals have given conflicting accounts of the shooting of Michael Reinoehl in Lacey, Washington. https://t.co/hmWx1Hy3La— OPB (@OPB) October 13, 2020
• In an attempt to enforce campaign finance laws, City Auditor Mary Hull Caballero has four lawsuits filed against her, with two of those being from Mayor Ted Wheeler's campaign.
• After three photos of damaged or opened US Mail boxes were pictured on Reddit, the Multnomah County Elections Office are reminding people that both vote by mail and ballot drop-off boxes are secure options.
• Oregon's coronavirus death toll exceeded 600 yesterday when the OHA also reported 321 new, positive COVID cases and six additional people dying from the virus.
IN NATIONAL NEWS
• It's day three of the Republicans effort to jam Amy Coney Barrett onto the Supreme Court before possibly losing their majority in the Senate, and Trump turd Sen. Lindsay Graham opened the day by complimenting Barrett on being "unashamedly" anti-abortion. Today expect both sides to argue their cases on why Barrett should or should not be allowed on the court. (She should not.)
He really said, “The Good Ole Days of Segregation “ https://t.co/bTwLd7pQlt— CJ McCollum (@CJMcCollum) October 14, 2020
• Trump's Supreme Court has cut short the US Census, overruling a lower court's decision to continue gathering vital information about Americans until October 31. Justice Sotomeyer bemoaned the Court's decision saying the "harms caused by rushing this year's census count [which are only done every 10 years] are irreparable."
• Trump toady Bill Barr has embarrassingly FAILED in his corrupt attempt to investigate Obama-era officials in an "unmasking probe" after his own federal prosecutor returned with a finding of no substantial wrongdoing.
• According to the FBI, the same group of right-wing terrorists who planned to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer also plotted to snatch up Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam, who (very correctly) blamed the scheme on Trump for his continuing efforts to fuel extremism.
• Today in "Wow... the GOP corruption just does not stop": "Republicans inject new chaos into 2020 election with unauthorized ballot dropboxes in California." (And of course, Trump is encouraging them to keep on doing it.)
• The white "Karen" who called 911 on a Black birdwatcher in NYC also called the police a second time to falsely claim the man had tried to assault her.
• It looks like the feared fall resurgence of coronavirus is here with new cases trending upward in a majority of states (including Oregon). So now more than ever: WASH YA DAMN HANDS, WEAR YA DAMN MASK, AND KEEP YA DAMN DISTANCE!
• In these terrifying times, don't you need a good, wholesome scare? Get your tickets now for SLAY—the short, eight-minute-or-less HORROR film festival from the makers of HUMP! Debuting Oct 15-31! (Ooh, and enter here to possibly win a free pass to SLAY and a free pizza, too!)
• Now let's screw our eyes upward at the WEATHER: Expect a mostly dryer day with just a chance of a shower and a high of 63!
• And finally, just when you thought 2020 couldn't get any worse....
Justin Bieber’s Crocs collection—a signature yellow shoe with 8 custom Jibbitz charms that apparently match Bieber’s “good vibes and laid-back style”—has hit stores today https://t.co/94vjfkU9sQ pic.twitter.com/ZVxMU8DWnM— Forbes (@Forbes) October 13, 2020