Here's your daily roundup of all the latest local and national news. (Like our coverage? Please consider making a recurring contribution to the Mercury to keep it comin'!)
• Let the bells ring and the confetti fall... the Portland Mercury's 2020 Election Endorsements are here! You may now fill out your ballots. (And drop 'em off or mail 'em in early! Trump hates that.)
• Yesterday our Alex Zielinski published a harrowing feature story about multiple accusations of sexual, physical, and psychological abuse leveled at the Portland's current NAACP president, E.D. Mondainé. Today Mondainé responded to those charges on a Zoom call with the press in which he denied the allegations, withdrew his name from the upcoming NAACP election, and refused to take further questions. We'll update you with any more information as it becomes available.
In a message to the Mercury, one of the men who said he was assaulted by Mondainé wrote:— Alex Zielinski (@alex_zee) October 15, 2020
"It doesn’t make up for the abuse, or the loss of all those years, but it’s a victory, and an important one. It’s the first victory any of us have had.”https://t.co/J07dG6foTU
• Once again Trump blurts out the secrets his cronies are trying to hide: In a public speech, Trump commented on the suspicious officer shooting of Portland fugitive Michael Reinoehl (accused of killing a Patriot Prayer supporter at an August protest), saying "[The officers] knew who [Reinoehl] was. They didn’t want to arrest him," to explain why the feds reportedly didn't identify themselves before killing him with at least 30 bullets.
Trump: We sent in the US Marshals, took 15 minutes and it was over... They knew who he was, they didn’t want to arrest him and 15 minutes that ended pic.twitter.com/fJA5BsJVeF— Acyn Torabi (@Acyn) October 15, 2020
• The Vancouver, WA police department is investigating one of its own for his alleged "inappropriate" comments to a defense attorney about Black Lives Matter protesters and right-wing agitators Patriot Prayer saying they "were not the problem."
• This is the type of headlines we get when we allow Trump and propaganda from the Portland Police to control the narrative about protests: "Lawsuit: Gas station refuses to sell gas to Black customer, implies he’ll use it to start fires at Portland’s protests."
• A new report shows that Ammon Bundy—of Malheur Militia fame—is building a "dangerous network of militia members and other far-right factions" (AKA domestic terrorists) across the United States.
• The cities of Portland and Oakland, CA have filed a lawsuit against the Department of Homeland Security and the Justice Department for sending in federal officers to stop constitutionally protected protests.
IN NATIONAL NEWS
• If you happen to hear Trump saying that we've gotten the coronavirus under control: As of today, the US has passed the 8 million mark of known COVID-19 cases.
• Democrats labelled it a "sham," and yet the utterly corrupt and desperate Senate GOP pushed Amy Coney Barrett one day closer to getting an undeserved seat on the Supreme Court. A confirmation vote is set for October 22.
• After two people on Sen. Kamala Harris' team tested positive for COVID-19, the vice presidential candidate paused all campaign traveling. Three people on Biden's campaign crew have also tested positive, though he will continue his travels has he has reportedly not come in contact with any of them.
• According to a new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll, Biden continues to lead Trump by 11 points nationally.
Steve Scully, a producer and politics editor for C-SPAN, was suspended by the network after he said he had lied about his Twitter account being hacked.https://t.co/WbTVbu5OMp— The New York Times (@nytimes) October 15, 2020
• YouTube has joined Twitter and Facebook in banning conspiracy-spouting QAnon groups from using their site to spread their malicious lies.
• In these terrifying times, don't you need a good, wholesome scare? Get your tickets now for SLAY—the short, eight-minute-or-less HORROR film festival from the makers of HUMP! Debuting TONIGHT Oct 15 and through the 31st!
• The WEATHER REPORT: Another mostly sunny day tomorrow with a high of 65!
• And finally, this is a person who has an excessive amount of "jush" and KNOWS how to vote. Take notes.
SHE READY pic.twitter.com/zLWQbSMljH— Meena Harris (@meenaharris) October 15, 2020