Here's your daily roundup of all the latest local and national news. (Like our coverage? Please consider making a recurring contribution to the Mercury to keep it comin'!)
• The Oregon Health Authority reported another record breaking day of 1,306 new positive COVID cases in the state. They also say that Oregon has reached a "dire point" in the pandemic, adding this chilling warning: “If we don’t get COVID-19 under control, the virus will swamp our hospitals with severely ill patients putting more lives at risk.”
Another alarming record today: 1,306 COVID-19 cases.— Governor Kate Brown (@OregonGovBrown) November 20, 2020
Overwhelmed hospitals mean there's fewer beds for you if you get in a car accident, break your ankle, have a heart attack, or rupture your appendix.
This is not a drill. https://t.co/U3mHeQmZt6
• A number of local activists and journalists have been included on an anonymous "kill list" sent by far right chuds to apparently scare them into silence. (Won't work, Bozos!) (Oh, and special thanks to the Portland Police and mayor's office for spreading a false narrative that inspired these drip-dicks.)
In 2017, 59% of drivers pulled over by the Portland police's gang violence team were Black. Black people make up 6% of Portland's pop. New data shows that in 2019, after PPB made sweeping promises to improve (including renaming the department), that number dropped to... 52%.— Alex Zielinski (@alex_zee) November 20, 2020
• The state of Oregon is working on revoking the police certification of Clackamas County Deputy Brandon Kearns, who has TWICE been convicted of domestic violence charges in the last year.
• TriMet wants to create a pilot program for a "mobile crisis response team," which would be far better reaction than sending police or security personnel to respond to passengers experiencing mental health crises. Our Blair Stenvick digs deep into the plan.
• Looking for the latest restaurant/bar/industry news and gossip (along with lots of great suggestions of things to stick in your mouth)? Then have we got the FOOD & DRINK NEWS ROUNDUP for you!
• IN NATIONAL NEWS:
It's Transgender Day of Remembrance and we will be holding an online vigil today to remember the names of the transgender people whose lives have been lost to anti-transgender violence this year. #TDOR thread. 🕯️ pic.twitter.com/qi6B9PUPxA— GLAAD (@glaad) November 20, 2020
• Although you already knew it in your heart, let's celebrate it anyway: Georgia has officially certified their election results, and JOE BIDEN WON AND FLIPPED THE STATE BLUE. (As Joe himself once said, "This is a big fucking deal.")
GSA Administrator Emily Murphy Alive, Mad We Emailed Her https://t.co/02qhKqPtoW— Anna Merlan (@annamerlan) November 20, 2020
• Meanwhile White House press secretary/"Fibmaster General" Kayleigh McEnany just keeps on spreading the president's lies about the election, COVID-19, and the transition of power, FALSELY claiming that there was not an orderly transfer of power between the Obama/Trump presidency. Just throw that fucking lie into the pile with the rest.
• Top Michigan lawmakers are visiting the White House today so Trump can try to pressure them into overturning the will of the people and switch Biden's 160,000 winning votes over to him. (This won't work, but it's still alarming that this fucking criminal will probably get away with attempting actual election fraud.) Oh, and those Michigan lawmakers? They got righteously heckled on their way in, HAHAHA.
NEW: MI GOP leaders issue statement on Trump meeting:— Heidi Przybyla (@HeidiNBC) November 20, 2020
"We have not yet been made aware of any information that would change the outcome of the election in Michigan and as legislative leaders, we will follow the law and follow the normal process regarding Michigan’s electors,
• In even more election buffoonery, Trump's lawyers cannot stop screwing up. According to legal briefs intending to prove non-existent voter fraud in Michigan, Trump's bumbling legal team accidentally used data taken from counties in Minnesota—which, while starting with the letter "M", is NOT Michigan.
• YOU HATE TO HEAR IT: "Donald Trump Jr. tests positive for coronavirus." (Saaaaad trommmmbooooone.)
Hearing Donald Trump, Jr. has COVID-19 has me like 👀 pic.twitter.com/FibTZsrDnD— insecure Al (@insecure_al) November 20, 2020
• Kyle Rittenhouse, the right-wing teen who murdered two protesters during a Black Lives Matter demonstration in Kenosha, Wisconsin (with a rifle purchased with a coronavirus stimulus check) is currently out of jail after posting a $2 million bond.
• Okay, here's something good related to the pandemic: Pfizer has applied for emergency approval from the FDA for its new COVID-19 vaccine. If it's approved quickly, the company says it could start to be available for high-risk people as early as next month.
• THREAD OF THE DAY:
I’m no political pundit but I grew up w a dad who was a federal prosecutor & he taught me a lot & I’ve also sat a fair amount of poker w serious players & l’ll say this: I do not think Trump is trying to ‘make his base happy’ or ‘laying the groundwork for his own network’...— Edward Norton (@EdwardNorton) November 20, 2020
• In news that we wish was about Trump, but isn't: "Hyenas dragged a man from his bed and mauled him to death."
• Running now through Sat Nov 28: The brand new "HUMP! Greatest Hits, Vol. 2" featuring the sexiest short flicks from the past 15 years of festivals! (Look, you NEED this. GET THOSE TIX NOW!)
• The results are in, and the people have spoken: YOU LOVE GOOD AFTERNOON, NEWS! Never miss a single informative, entertaining post by subscribing HERE.
• THE WEATHER REPORT: Another mostly sunny day tomorrow but a chance of showers returns on Sunday!
• And finally... reminder to self: NEVER. EVER, EVER CROSS THE TROLLS OF TIKTOK!
the trolls of tiktok are on another level pic.twitter.com/amatziXeob— Living Morganism 🌱 (@ok_girlfriend) November 20, 2020