Here's your daily roundup of all the latest local and national news. (Like our coverage? Please consider making a recurring contribution to the Mercury to keep it comin'!)
• As 1,611 new positive COVID-19 cases were reported today, Gov. Brown and health officials gave a press conference to talk about the upcoming vaccine rollout, when the general population can expect it, and how to convince Oregon's sizable anti-vaxxer contingent to take it. Our Blair Stenvick has more.
“We have the policies and programs in place to vaccinate all Oregonians, and we’re pulling every one of those levers,” Gov. Kate Brown said at a Friday press conference. More info about COVID-19 in Oregon and vaccines here: https://t.co/vLzcSCTccH
— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) December 11, 2020
• Oregon's healthcare workers—and not just those on the front line, but contact tracers and testing site teams as well—are nearing their breaking point as coronavirus cases, hospitalizations, and deaths continue to rise.
• Think you know enough about the current Red House occupation to voice your possibly uninformed opinion? HOLD UP THERE, SPARKY. Cover your bases by reading this very informative FAQ on what inspired the North Portland blockade, and how the city and community is responding. In other Red House news: The Oregonian is reporting that the Red House's current owner—a house-flipper—is interested in selling the house back to the recently evicted tenants.
The Red House perfectly illustrates how even if you own something as a Black/Indigenous person one “wrong” move perceived or not can open floods of racist trap doors that will set your family back for generations
— Donovan M. Smith (@ignorantreflect) December 11, 2020
• Looking for the latest restaurant gossip, news, and delicious new things to stuff in your mouth? Don't miss our weekly FOOD & DRINK NEWS ROUNDUP!
IN NATIONAL NEWS:
• TOO BAD, SO SAD: As just about everyone expected (except those Republicans too cowardly to admit it), Trump's embarrassingly terrible Texas lawsuit that desperately wanted to overturn the election in his favor has been rejected by the Supreme Court and has gone down in glorious flames. (Ya done, shithead! Pack ya bags!)
Orlando Sentinel Ed Board: "We apologize to our readers for endorsing Michael Waltz in the 2020 general election for Congress. We had no idea, had no way of knowing at the time, that Waltz was not committed to democracy."https://t.co/zLuKDwSKbp
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) December 11, 2020
• But get this! Before the Supreme Court shot it down, two more states joined the absolutely hopeless Texas lawsuit that wanted to overturn the will of millions of voters, and... wait... this just in: Those two states—New Nevada and New California—DO NOT EXIST.
• Today in "HEY DUMMY! THAT ISN'T HELPING!": The chief of the FDA was told that he'd be fired by the lame duck White House unless he announces the approval of the Pfizer vaccine by the end of the day. (He should wait until 12:01 am, and flip off Trump as he's doing it.)
Trump was told—everywhere, by everyone, over and over—that the one thing he *absolutely couldn't do* was let political interference into the vaccine approval process, as it'd kill Americans' confidence in the vaccine.
So he had his agent threaten the FDA. https://t.co/gMaKK30fi8
— Seth Abramson (@SethAbramson) December 11, 2020
• We hate to say "we told ya so," but since so many refused to listen... WE TOLD YA SO. From the AP: "Across the country, contact tracers and emergency room doctors are hearing repeatedly from new coronavirus patients that they socialized over Thanksgiving with people outside their households, despite emphatic public-health warnings to stay home and keep their distance from others."
• You actually hate to see it: "Snow leopard at Kentucky zoo tests positive for coronavirus."
Breaking News: FKA twigs has filed a lawsuit against Shia LaBeouf, her former boyfriend, accusing him of sexual battery, assault and infliction of emotional distress. https://t.co/iaNRICGstG
— The New York Times (@nytimes) December 11, 2020
• The Senate has approved a defense policy bill that lame duck loser Trump has threatened to veto because... [checks notes] "it doesn't clamp down on big tech companies he claims were biased during the election"? Congress will almost certainly override any veto from this lame duck loser.
Fellow Trekkies: Join me and #StarTrek cast members on Saturday, Dec 12 at 6PM for a chat about the importance of electing @ReverendWarnock and @ossoff on Jan 5! 🖖🏾
✨ Register now at https://t.co/9NrCpTg8s0 pic.twitter.com/zbP1F4BRvn
— Stacey Abrams (@staceyabrams) December 10, 2020
• Today in "Oh god no... noooooooooo": Harrison Ford will return in a fifth 'Indiana Jones' movie."
• You have sex and/or relationship problems (or like to hear about those who do), right? Then don't miss the hilarious SAVAGE LIVESTREAM—in which the honorable Dan Savage answers all your sexy questions LIVE. It's this Saturday, Dec 12... don't you dare miss it!
• THE WEATHER REPORT: Cloudy, but much drier tomorrow with a high of 46, but rain returns with a vengeance on Sunday!
And finally, now it's time for your "Friday Moment of Self-Reflection."