The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support!
GOOD AFTERNOON, PORTLAND! Got one more hottie (day) tomorrow with temps peaking at 89, but dropping significantly to 77 on Saturday, which is more damn like it! Now let's get into some "that's more damn like it" NEWS!
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• Is even Mayor Ted Wheeler getting tired of the constant "wah-wah-wah" coming from our overfunded police department? Yesterday in City Council he let loose on Chief Lovell after the chief complained he couldn't do his job without more staff—even though the bureau is one of the biggest ticket items in the city budget.
"I think we should stop using the messaging at every turn that the reasoning we can't help our citizens with basic criminal justice issues is because we don't have personnel. Bullshit."— Alex Zielinski (@alex_zee) August 31, 2022
• More info is coming out about the victim who was killed last weekend in a Bend Safeway grocery store mass shooting, who is now being lauded for attacking the shooter, and likely saving more lives. But in a complicated turn of events, this "hero" was also convicted of sexual crimes against a minor nearly 30 years ago.
• The Oregon Health Authority is expanding their warning not to swim or play in the Willamette River near the St. Johns bridge; now people are being warned to stay away from the area upstream known as Willamette Cove near the SP&S Railroad Bridge due to toxic algae blooms.
• Look out, brain! It's our SATAN-themed edition of Portland's fave trivia game, POP QUIZ PDX! This week featuring devilish Oregon destinations, hellishly popular Portland strip clubs, and Satan-worshipping Republican Kevin McCarthy's visit to Oregon!
• The super popular Lose Yr Mind music fest is THIS WEEKEND—and the organizers are expanding... not just in venues but also in musical genres. Our Jenni Moore has the deets!
Indie-folk heavyweights The Mountain Goats will trek over to Portland this winter for two consecutive shows. Plus, FAN EXPO Portland (FKA Wizard World) has released early bird tickets. https://t.co/ICVvHVHMhN— EverOut Portland (@EverOutPortland) September 1, 2022
IN NATIONAL/WORLD NEWS:
• A judge is considering allowing Trump to appoint a "special master" to examine the classified documents taken by the FBI at Mar-a-Lago—even though the Feds have already been through almost all of them, and there's no point other than to slow down the investigation, and... OHHHHHH, NOW I GET IT. This judge was appointed by Trump himself.
• Today in "vote purchasing":
Former president Donald Trump said he would issue full pardons and a government apology to rioters who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, and violently attacked law enforcement to stop the democratic transfer of power.https://t.co/8unR6zDV1o— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) September 1, 2022
• In somewhat better news: "Ex-NYPD officer who assaulted D.C. officer on Jan. 6 gets record 10-year sentence."
On Thursday, at long last, Twitter released its “edit tweet” feature. But not all are happy with the news. It should help with tyops, though. https://t.co/tC7dSo12Bp— The Daily Beast (@thedailybeast) September 1, 2022
• A federal judge has ONCE AGAIN informed Trump crony Sen. Lindsey Graham that, yes, he absolutely must testify in the Georgia grand jury investigation into efforts to overturn the 2020 election.
• Very much related: President Biden will address the nation tonight (starting at 5 pm PST) and is expected to issue a warning about our endangered democracy and the MAGA Republicans who won't stop throwing matches into our metaphorical cans of gasoline.
• Once more, with feeling (to the moon)!
Onward. We're proceeding toward a Saturday, Sept. 3 launch for #Artemis I, with a two-hour window opening at 2:17pm ET (18:22 UTC). Live coverage begins at 12:15pm ET (16:15 UTC): https://t.co/UxIQDszwNB— NASA (@NASA) September 1, 2022
• And finally... in this game, there is no winner.
Wait for it.. 😂 pic.twitter.com/LLNEtHQgUg— Buitengebieden (@buitengebieden) September 1, 2022