The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support!
Good morning, Portland. We're looking at another 60-degree day out there. The upcoming weekend is forecasted to be very drizzly, so if sunlight is your thing, make the most of today and tomorrow. Now, here's the news!
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• Portlanders rallied at multiple locations downtown, on Tuesday afternoon, as residents reeled from the news that the Supreme Court may soon overturn Roe v. Wade. The gatherings fit the nationwide mold, suggested by the Women's March organizing nonprofit, which called for protesters to gather at a "local courthouse, federal building, town hall, or town square."
• Medical providers and local leaders spoke out yesterday, describing how they plan to support patients in other states, if those patients suddenly find themselves unable to receive safe and legal abortion care.
A progressive donor who is largely unknown in Oregon politics is putting big money toward 2 DA races, even outspending Phil Knight in Washington County.
That county's race is tightening thanks to the cash, and some solid @conradjwilson reporting. https://t.co/oGchRYx16z
— Ryan Haas (@ryanjhaas) May 4, 2022
• The Oregonian reports that two captive-bred California condors were released in Redwood National Park as part of a project aimed at restoring the giant vultures to their historic habitat in the Pacific Northwest.
IN NATIONAL / INTERNATIONAL NEWS:
• For the entirety of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, Russian officials have only referred to it as a "special military operation." This morning, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, attempted to quash rumors that the country will soon declare all out war on its neighboring country, calling the rumors "nonsense."
• As of yesterday, even the Catholic Pope was dragging Russian president Vladimir Putin. It's worth noting that Putin is Russian Orthodox so Pope Francis is not the head of his church.
Roe is a popular precedent among people everywhere in the US. Nowhere will you find a majority that thinks abortion should be functionally or actually illegal. Any coverage of the topic, now or in the past, that has not made this fact clear as day, is journalistic malpractice. https://t.co/1azUXw8TuH
— Amanda Mull (@amandamull) May 3, 2022
• This year's White House Correspondents Dinner was likely a superspreader event, CNN reports. The evidence is largely anecdotal, but reporters and staffers from CNN, ABC News, NBC News, CBS News, Politico, and other attending news organizations have since tested positive for the virus.
• An audience member attacked Dave Chappelle at the Hollywood Bowl Tuesday night, where he was performing at Netflix is a Joke: The Festival. LA police arrested a suspect and Chappelle appeared to be unharmed.
• And now for the only person I will allow to tell me about the Met Gala:
@cyberexboyfriend #greenscreen time to look at the apparel of the rich #fashiontok #metgala2022 #metgala #blacktiktok ♬ original sound - cyberexboyfriend