The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support!
- Marchers flooded Portland streets Friday, demanding that elected and business leaders take the threat of global warming more seriously. The Mercury's Isabella Garcia was on the ground to speak with activists involved.
- Federal agents were hit with a lawsuit Friday for allegedly abducting Portlander Evelyn Bassi during the city’s 2020 racial justice protests. This is just the latest in a number of lawsuits against federal police who purportedly “disappeared” Portland protesters in 2020.
- On Friday, the Oregonian’s number-crunches estimated that Oregon Congressman Kurt Schrader “is all but certain to lose” to Democrat Jamie McLeod-Skinner in the primary election, which took place last Tuesday. I guess that’s what happens when you spend most of your time in DC, stuffing your country-boy jeans pockets with big pharma bucks.
- Racist police o' clock:
Hillsboro's police policies prohibit “making derogatory or stereotypical comments" about race and ethnicity. But the agency found these text messages did not violate that policy. https://t.co/HEqtn1vtNR
— Ryan Haas (@ryanjhaas) May 23, 2022
- Mark Zuckerberg, President Joe Biden, and Morgan Freeman are banned from Russia—along with nearly one thousand other Americans that the Kremlin arbitrarily decided to keep from entering Russia as a form of sanctions. In related news: Morgan Freeman’s Memorial Day vacation plans are RUINED!
- Have you heard of the hot new virus on the market—the monkeypox? On Sunday, President Biden said the world "should be concerned" about the spread of the new virus. There are five known cases of monkeypox in the US. Here's a primer on what this smallpox-adjacent virus is—and does.
- Good news, parents! A whopping 78,000 pounds of baby formula landed in the US Sunday, the first of several Air Force flights from Europe aimed at relieving the US’ shortage. Bad news: This Air Force job has a very non-creative name: “Operation Fly Formula.”
- Ukraine has shown no intention of backing down after Russia stepped up its attack in the eastern and southern parts of the country this weekend. This comes as international leaders urge Ukraine to hold the line, with Polish President Andrzej Duda noting that sacrificing any territory would be a "huge blow" to the entire West. No pressure.
- This weekend marked the final Saturday Night Live show for Kate McKinnon, Aidy Bryant, Peter Davidson, and Kyle Mooney. Which means it’s time to share my favorite McKinnon sketch: