The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support!
GOOD MORNING, PORTLAND! Slip on your swimsuit for a soaker of a weekend, with lots of rain both Saturday and Sunday (but only occasional showers today). Now let's get up in that NEWS!
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• Clackamas County Clerk Sherry Hall—who royally fucked last week's election by being woefully understaffed to hand count some blurry ballots—is continuing her reign of fucking up by badly missing the daily benchmark set by the Secretary of State to get the damn job finished.
To help you have a memorable Memorial Day weekend, we've rounded up some of the best events in Portland and some road trip ideas that scream: "Summer is just around the corner!" https://t.co/QPsbGy1c2m— EverOut Portland (@EverOutPortland) May 24, 2022
• It's a lawsuit hat trick for violent repeat offender Portland police detective Erik Kammerer, who is being sued for the third time (!!) for the vicious way he has treated protesters. Our Alex Zielinski has the details.
• A federal judge has issued a big "NOPE" to the state of Oregon who asked the court to shut down a lawsuit against them filed by prison inmates for the absolutely TERRIBLE job officials did in managing the spread of COVID in state prisons.
A high-ranking veteran of the Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office is suing Sheriff Shane Nelson for retaliation and tampering with internal investigations. https://t.co/AU3Q52K1oA— OPB (@OPB) May 27, 2022
• The family of Kevin Peterson Jr.—the 21-year-old Black man who was killed in Vancouver by deputies as he ran away from them—are filing a wrongful death suit against the Clark County Sheriff's Office.
• If you've missed out on Portland's own House of Ada competing on the first three episodes of HBO's reality ballroom show Legendary, Andrew Jankowski is here to catch you up—in style.
"Why, I NEVER!" Get ready for the most SCANDALOUS edition yet of POP QUIZ PDX, featuring hilarious trivia Qs about local conservative dimwits, the guardians of Chinatown, and some very, VERY naughty individuals! 😲https://t.co/7yhHPQTUU7— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) May 26, 2022
IN NATIONAL/WORLD NEWS:
• Because they love their guns more than the lives of children., the NRA is still holding their big convention/circle jerk today in Houston, Texas... days after 19 children and two teachers were murdered by the weapons they worship at an elementary school in Uvalde. Meanwhile, parents of the murdered children remain furious at the cops who refused to rush in to the school and save their kids—making everyone wonder, "well then, what are you good for?" Meanwhile students across the nation (and here in Portland) walked out of their classes yesterday in protest of the Republicans who refuse to consider gun legislation that could save their lives.
The more we learn about how the police handled this shooting, the more outrageous it becomes. I've done active shooter training with several groups. The first principle is always to act as quickly as possible. How could they possibly have waited so long? https://t.co/7uA79wgE5Z— Stephen Gutowski (@StephenGutowski) May 26, 2022
Republicans are doubling down on gun worship and violent imagery as they look to take control of Congress. https://t.co/cX2uPrxD2q— Rolling Stone (@RollingStone) May 27, 2022
• The Biden administration continues to work on their student loan forgiveness plan, with the current idea being forgiving $10,000 of debt per borrower. (Psst. Not enough.)
• Meanwhile in Ukraine, Russian forces continue to press into the eastern part of the country, as officials say 1,500 people have died since the war started.
• After years of hiding it, the leaders of the Southern Baptist religion are releasing their secret list of abusers within their ranks today—which apparently contains HUNDREDS of pastors and workers who allegedly sexually abused church members.
• And finally... if you ever figure out how to do something this cool, let me know. I'd really love to see it!
These kids are WoW 💕pic.twitter.com/u0JdgQRa9f— Figen (@TheFigen) May 26, 2022