The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support!
GOOD MORNING, PORTLAND! You can expect partly cloudy skies today with a high of 46... and is that the sun threatening to peek out today? Fingers crossed, and until then, let's peek at some NEWS.
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• What the freak is up with the dead whales? After a 40-foot dead sperm whale washed up on the beach at Fort Stevens State Park last week after being struck by a ship, another whale—this time a baby gray—has been found dead near the same location. The cause of death has yet to be determined.
The union representing teachers in the Newberg School District has reached a settlement in a lawsuit with the school board. The district's policy banning “controversial” symbols is now "gone." https://t.co/TqRs9qmotp— OPB (@OPB) January 18, 2023
• Today in HA-HA-HA: The Oregon Firearms Federation—who successfully put a hold on the tough, voter approved gun law Measure 114 in court–is now being sued by their own lawyers for failing to pay thousands of dollars in legal fees.
• A Portland man has been awarded $80,000 (!!) by the city and county after being struck by a volley of less-lethal munitions by cops during a July 2020 protest for the crime of... *checks notes*... kicking a tear gas canister away from a crowd. (Note: That's YOUR money the cops just sent flushing down the toilet, and there's a lot more to come!)
• TIME TO START PAYING ATTENTION: There have been at least 15 attacks on power substations in the Pacific Northwest since 2022—and yet from the beginning, the FBI has been warning of neo-Nazi plots to take down the nation's power grids.
There’s a little something for everyone in this week's HEAR IN PORTLAND. Music columnist @JenniferKayMo dreams of Karma Rivera / DJ Lapaushi live collabs, highlights Jenny Don’t and the Spurs' tour kick off, and recommends a vibey, local Pitchfork poke:https://t.co/3pCF8FVhV3— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) January 18, 2023
• Calling all horny people: America's sweetest li'l porn festival, HUMP! 2023, is coming to Revolution Hall, starting on March 3! Check out the sexy trailer and lineup here, but get those tix quick before they sell out!
IN NATIONAL/WORLD NEWS:
• Welp, the US has officially hit its debt ceiling—and if we default it could lead to crashing markets and expansive layoffs—which is prompting the Treasury Department to go to extreme lengths to keep the government open. What's the problem? You guessed it: MAGA Republicans in Congress refusing to do their duty to keep the nation running.
When these hypocrite Republicans say they can’t raise the debt ceiling remind them that they raised it FOUR times under Trump pic.twitter.com/Wfg4niWKAM— Wu-Tang is for the Children (@WUTangKids) January 19, 2023
• New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced she is stepping down from her office citing burnout after years of justifiably battling right-wing terrorism, the pandemic, and vitriolic sexism.
• Right on brand: "Republican George Santos says his mom was in the World Trade Center on 9/11. Records show she wasn't in the U.S."
Breaking News: Alec Baldwin and the armorer for the film “Rust” will be charged with involuntary manslaughter in the on-set 2021 shooting. https://t.co/iMz6XNCvt1— The New York Times (@nytimes) January 19, 2023
• RIP Charlotte FC soccer player Anton Walkes, who died in a Florida boating accident at the too-young age of 25.
• And finally... me, heading into the office this morning.