We need your help. The economic fallout of the coronavirus crisis is threatening our ability to keep producing the quality reporting you've come to love. If you’re able, please consider making a monthly contribution to the Mercury.
GOOD MORNING, PORTLAND! Even if you stay at home, make love and listen to the music. You've got to let yourself go go go go. LET'S GO TO PRESS.
• OoooohWEEEEE! Last night's first presidential debate was an absolute shitshow (as completely expected), and I'll have more on that later—but during the debate, and on the topic of Black Lives Matter protests, Trump claimed he had the support of the "Portland Sheriff." This just in... PORTLAND DOESN'T HAVE A SHERIFF. But Multnomah County does, and its sheriff, Mike Reese, quickly hopped on Twitter to note that "I have never supported Donald Trump and will never support him.”
In tonight’s presidential debate the President said the “Portland Sheriff” supports him. As the Multnomah County Sheriff I have never supported Donald Trump and will never support him.
— Mike Reese (@SheriffReese) September 30, 2020
• Well, here's a goof-up: When Portland city officials agreed to allow local police to be deputized by the Feds this past weekend to patrol the Proud Boys, they say they had no idea that the designation would last until the end of the year. Mayor Wheeler has asked the US Attorney to remove their deputy status (AKA a license to be as violent as they want to protesters)—but we'll see how that goes.
I’m in full agreement with the Mayor that the deputization of our officers needs to be rescinded and I would ask that until that happens those officers not be out responding to the protests. Portlanders have been clear: we don’t need more deputized officers; we need de-escalation https://t.co/jyZAQzAR7K
— Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty (@JoAnnPDX) September 30, 2020
• In case you haven't noticed, Portland Police have been ramping up their violence against protesters to a startling degree. And the ACLU is asking Gov. Brown to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate their actions. Our Blair Stenvick has more.
• Need more proof that America's police unions are the primary driver of cop brutality and making sure their officers can regularly get away with murder? Portland's police union have introduced a 2022 ballot initiative that if approved would restrict freedom of assembly—a First Amendment right—in order to squash future protests.
Police unions in Oregon say they might push ballot measures that would turn police reforms back on politicians. Would also require the City of Portland to curtail protests. #orpol #orleg https://t.co/lQcAsY2fXY
— Dirk VanderHart (@dirquez) September 30, 2020
• Portland Police spent nearly $8 million in just two months on Portland's protests with most of it going to overtime... but also $300,000 went to food from Chick-fil-A, Olive Garden, Donut Land, and more. Alex Zielinski has the details!
• In the tight city council race between incumbent Chloe Eudaly and Mingus Mapps, Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty is endorsing Eudaly, saying that while they don't always agree, their overall goals are closely aligned.
IN NATIONAL NEWS
• Circling back around to the debate shitshow: From the opening moments of the first presidential debate, Trump unleashed a barrage of lies, insults, and constant interruptions, breaking all the agreed upon rules and squashing any opportunity to talk about policy (which is supposed to be the point of the goddamn thing). But in a nutshell, Trump once again accused the election of being rigged, and most disturbingly, when asked to denounce white supremacist organizations, he instead said, "Proud Boys, stand back and stand by" which the organization took to mean he had their support and to wait until after he was elected to attack the left. SO THAT'S JUST FUCKING GREAT.
What a serendipitous PR bonanza for the Proud Boys. Biden blurts out their name at a debate, Trump bites, and now there are explainers, deep dives etc on a group that couldn’t even muster numbers for the supposedly huge rally they’d planned in Portland last weekend.
— Hannah Allam (@HannahAllam) September 30, 2020
Please please please do not try to interview the Proud Boys. They seek media attention and then use it to spread their toxic message.
When reporting on tonight’s debate, call them white supremacists. But do not give them a mic. https://t.co/yg5cvDi11H
— Joan Donovan, PhD (@BostonJoan) September 30, 2020
• In case you care, according to every major poll, Biden won the debate.
Joe Biden's campaign broke its single-hour fundraising record as the debate wrapped up, pulling in $3.8 million. https://t.co/YZDiJaQHMR
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) September 30, 2020
• Trump and his cronies did their fair share of cheating before the debate, spreading online conspiracy theories that Joe Biden was going to use performance enhancing drugs (he didn't) and a hidden earpiece (he didn't).
• The Trump administration is ramping up the racism before the election and is sending ICE to "sanctuary cities" (including Portland, I presume) to make targeted arrests in what most agree is a bald-faced political move.
• Ex-FBI director James Comey is appearing before a Senate Judiciary Committee today to testify about his role in leading the investigation into Trump's ties to the Russians in 2016.
A detective who fired the shot that killed Breonna Taylor is seeking to purchase the rest of his service time so he can retire from the Louisville Metro Police Department, according to an online fundraiser launched by his family.https://t.co/YnrLUYf3NU via @nbcnews
— Janelle Fiona Griffith (@janellefiona) September 30, 2020
• '70s pop star/icon Helen Reddy—singer of the feminist anthem "I Am Woman"—has died at the age of 78.
• Also passed, country star/songwriter Mac Davis—who wrote hits for Elvis Presley, Kenny Rogers, and himself—has died at the age of 78 as well.
• If all this news is making you hungry, check out the estimable Suzette Smith's "Takeout Club" column, in which she shares her picks for the tastiest takeout food of the week (including an almost unheard of $5 Portland sandwich)!
• Need some laughs? Then DO NOT MISS this Thursday's (Oct 1) livestream edition of the I, Anonymous Show, featuring a panel of nationally-beloved comedians riffing on the weirdest and wildest submissions from our famous I, Anonymous column and blog! It's HILARIOUS, and you need that.
• Now let's screw our eyes upward at the WEATHER: Another gorgeous, sunny day today with a high of 87.
• And finally, so is this the future of porn?
2020, y’all... pic.twitter.com/MLAFGx4apx
— Rex Chapman🏇🏼 (@RexChapman) September 29, 2020