Updated April 3, 5:58 pm:

This story has been corrected to add a statement from TriMet and clarify its assistance with the ongoing investigation.

A man was stabbed to death Friday evening on a MAX train by another man who later told police he heard voices and thought the victim was trying to kill him or have him killed.

According to court documents and police reports, Michael Brady, 51, was sitting across the aisle from another passenger on an eastbound MAX train Friday, March 29, shortly before 6 pm. Brady boarded the train downtown near Pioneer Square, headed home from work toward 82nd Avenue.

At some point, a passenger with a large butcher-style knife abruptly approached and attacked Brady, unprovoked. Brady was stabbed in the shoulder, chest, and abdomen as the train approached the 82nd Ave transit center. He died at the scene. 

Brady's wife, Nora Brady, released a statement Wednesday through the police department, noting her husband leaves behind a young son.

“I want people to know that my husband was a great human being, a loving father of a 6-year-old boy, and a loving husband,” Nora Brady said. “Michael Brady was a wonderful person.”

Police arrested 51-year-old Shondel Larkin at the scene on charges of second-degree murder and unlawful use of a weapon.

In a probable cause affidavit, police say Larkin told them he “hears voices that often bother him.”

Larkin said he previously took medication for a mental health condition, but hadn’t taken it since January. 

Michael Brady was killed while riding a MAX train on March 29. family photo

On the day of the fatal attack, the suspect said he observed Brady sitting on the train with earbuds in and thought Brady was communicating with someone else about him. He reportedly told police “he believed that people were trying to kill him because he is a sex offender.”

Larkin stayed on the train after the attack and cooperated with commands from police to drop his knife. He was arrested and arraigned Monday. 

Court documents show Larkin faced prior charges for rape or attempted rape in California in 2006. He is listed on a jail booking form as houseless.

In a statement provided to media outlets upon request, TriMet said the agency is working closely with Portland Police Bureau and the Multnomah County District Attorney's office, and has provided video surveillance footage to aid in the investigation. TriMet says even though the suspect is in custody, it's increasing security around its transit system.

"We at TriMet are deeply saddened by the horrific attack that occurred on our MAX train Friday night," the agency's statement reads. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the loved ones of the person killed, as well as all who have been affected by this senseless act of violence."

Friday’s violent attack isn’t the first time a passenger was injured or killed while riding public transit.

In 2017, two MAX train passengers– Ricky Best and Taliesin Namkai-Meche–died after being stabbed on the train by Jeremy Christian. Another passenger, Micah Fletcher, was also stabbed by Christian, but survived his injuries.

Christian, a white supremacist, began spouting racist rants while riding a train in late May 2017. Witnesses said Christian was verbally harassing two teen girls on the train, one of which was wearing a hijab. After another passenger tried to get Christian to leave the train, an altercation ensued and Christian pulled a knife on Namkai-Meche. When Best tried to intervene, he was also stabbed. The day before that attack, Christian harassed a Black woman, Demetria Hester, who maced Christian. After she exited the train, Christian threw a half-full Gatorade bottle at her face, injuring her eye.

Christian was sentenced to life in prison in 2020.