Here's your daily roundup of all the latest local and national news. (Like our coverage? Please consider making a recurring contribution to the Mercury to keep it comin'!)
• Mayor Ted Wheeler says a plan is in the works for potential election night protests and violence, and is trying to strike a deal between city, state, and federal officers to figure out the level of response. (Note: Since none of the stakeholders have tried to stop unnecessary police violence, don't expect this agreement to be in the favor of those practicing their First Amendment rights.)
• Related: On Wednesday (and just in time for election night), Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty will introduce an ordinance that could keep federally deputized Portland cops from making arrests.
I believe this is the first person federally charged for assaulting a Portland police officer. Despite the city saying it no longer consents to the officers being federally deputized, the US Attorney's Office doesn't seem to care and is proceeding with prosecutions. https://t.co/Qo9GP9xoko— Ryan Haas (@ryanjhaas) October 26, 2020
• Local members of the Muslim American and Jewish communities are bracing for election night as well, because if Trump is reelected they can expect four more years of racism and hate crimes. Our Abe Asher spoke with members of these two communities and files this report.
• Nice work Oregonians! A whopping 1.17 million of you (or roughly 40 percent of all registered voters across the state) have already turned in their ballots. And if you haven't, IT IS TIME. Check out our Endorsement Cheat Sheet to get it done quick!
The state legislature voted Friday to put $$ towards hotel stays for people impacted by wildfires—but axed funding that would have offered the same for homeless Oregonians seeking shelter during COVID-19. https://t.co/1aDSqo3Ny0— Alex Zielinski (@alex_zee) October 26, 2020
• For those who think jail is an acceptable way to punish the homeless, don't miss this investigation by the Oregonian which shows that jailing houseless Portlanders for minor infractions does little to stop them from committing illegal activities, and in fact, getting them into even marginal housing has been shown to effectively reduce crime.
IN NATIONAL NEWS
• The unqualified and unvetted Amy Coney Barrett is expected to be confirmed and jammed into the Supreme Court today by a GOP who is under (the perhaps correct) impression that Dems don't have the guts to expand the court if they come into power.
Mitch McConnell on Amy Coney Barrett: “A lot of what we’ve done over the last four years will be undone, sooner or later, by the next election. But they won’t be able to do much about this for a long time to come.”https://t.co/nNsxAY2ziJ— Sahil Kapur (@sahilkapur) October 26, 2020
• However, the GOP does have significant reason to worry as early voting numbers could surge to a record-breaking 1 million by election day.
• Trump's resident Nosferatu (Jared "JARED!" Kushner) said that the national fight against systemic racism is actually just Black people "complaining" about their situation, and added that Black Americans can only be successful if they "want to be successful." OH HELL NO HE DID NOT.
• You hate to see it (which is to say you love to see it): "Fox News anchors quarantine after virus exposure on flight."
• As it turns out, and according to two studies, THERE IS WATER ON THE MOON! (And no, this is not a QAnon story.)
Kazakhstan has decided to embrace Borat’s catchphrase and turn it into the country’s new tourism slogan: Very nice! https://t.co/iHngxsQHLZ— The New York Times (@nytimes) October 26, 2020
• Find out what it's like to be on the front lines of Portland's nightly protests against systemic racism and police brutality with our livestream event/forum, "Eyes on the Ground: A Conversation With Portland's Protest Journalists and Documentarians"—coming at you TOMORROW Tuesday, October 27 at 7 pm. GET THOSE TIX NOW!
• In these terrifying times, don't you need a good, wholesome scare? Get your tickets now for SLAY—the short, eight-minute-or-less HORROR film festival from the makers of HUMP! Streaming right now through the 31st! (Interested in getting out more? Then come to the SLAY Drive-In at Oaks Park THIS WEEK! Details here!)
• The WEATHER REPORT: A mostly sunny day tomorrow with a high of 57!
• And finally, if you are a Borat fan (or even if you're not) you'll appreciate this. "MAH WIIIIIFE!"
my wiife loves when i do borat pic.twitter.com/UlZWtuxLDR— 𝐭𝐢𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐈𝐗 (@WiseOldBitch) October 23, 2020