As you probably heard, yesterday President Trump fired Attorney General Jeff Sessions almost immediately following the midterm elections just after the House flipped Democratic. This panicky move is almost certainly out of fear the Democrats will immediately begin investigating him the moment they take office in January, and is intended to hobble and stop Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into the Trump campaign's very credible collusion with Russia during the 2016 election.
AND THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE NOT HAVING IT. Today, across the nation, protests are being planned for this afternoon (Thurs Nov 8, 5 pm local time) to protest Trump's decision and let him know that his continuing efforts to obstruct justice will not be tolerated. Calling itself "Nobody Is Above the Law—Mueller Protection Rapid Response," the nationwide event is taking place in hundreds of cities (including internationally) with several events happening in Portland. Here's where the Portland and surrounding area protests will be taking place:
ALL EVENTS KICK OFF TODAY, THURS NOV 8, AT 5 PM.
• Tom McCall Waterfront Park-North End (Probably the biggest one).
• Pioneer Courthouse Square (Hosted by Indivisible Oregon, Nasty Women Get Shit Done PDX, more) UPDATE NOON: According to organizers, this offshoot of the protest has been moved to join the bigger one at the Waterfront.
• Courtyard at Senator Wyden's Office—911 NE 11th
• Beaverton Library—12375 SW 5th
• Esther Short Park in Vancouver—Corner of W Sixth and Columbia
• NW Cornell Blvd and Murray Blvd (Holding signs on busy intersection)
• Sherwood, OR—SW Edy and 99 West
• Hillsboro Civic Center Plaza—150 E Main, Hillsboro, OR
• Public square at Sandy Transit Mall—16610 Champion Way, Sandy, OR
• Saint Helens, OR —Hwy 30 & Columbia Blvd
Stick with the Mercury for further updates and coverage, and sign up to attend demonstrations here.