UPDATE: Did you know Walmart has launched a Portland specific website with slick ads from local business Franz Bakery talking about how much Walmart supports local business? I did not, until reader dudeluna pointed it out to me. They're definitely laying the groundwork to try and change public opinion of Walmart in Portland. Check it out:
Here's a hot news tip-off from the blog of Portland real estate company Urban Design Works: Walmart is "actively working and negotiating" on 17 Portland-area locations for new "neighborhood market" stores. This may be coming to a suburb near you.
As Urban Design Works notes, "neighborhood market" is an oxymoron here, since the company is based in Arkansas and is also the world's largest retailer. Walmart hasn't made public any of these locations, no doubt getting their (Chinese made, highly affordable) ducks in a row before the inevitable backlash. Mayor Sam Adams has campaigned against Walmarts in Sellwood and Hayden Island. According to The O, Walmart has commissioned an economic study of the feasibility of these locations, which would add to their current four stores in the area.
So here's the list of potential future Walmart sites:
• Raleigh Hills: Ex-Zupan's at Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy & Apple Way
• Lake Grove: Ex-Whole Foods at Boones Ferry Rd & Jean Rd.
• West Linn: Ex-Lamb's Thriftway at Hwy 43 & Hidden Valley
• Gresham: Ex-QFC at 182nd & Powell
• Gresham: Ex-Food 4 Less at Powell & Burnside
• Beaverton: Ex-Haggen's at SW Murray & 147th
• Vancouver: Ex-Fred Meyer at 4th Plain & Grand
• Vancouver: Ex-Winco at Hwy 500 & Thurston Way
• Oregon City: Molalla Ave. & S. Beavercreek (land parcel)
• Salmon Creek: 134th & I-5 (land parcel)
• Tigard: SW Greenburg Rd. & Hwy 217
• Oak Grove: Ex-G.I. Joe's at SE McLoughlin & Concord
The blog also notes:
Also rumored are negotiations for several close-in urban locations in north and southeast Portland...SE Belmont and North Williams...imagine those neighborhood meetings!
Thanks to humanclock for the heads up!
Get the best of the Mercury each week in your inbox!