Marie Brown & Donny Miller
From Cinema 21
616 NW 21st
This duo makes the popcorn and rolls the films you love. But, have you ever stopped to ask them what they love? It's puppet actors!:
• Dark Crystal (1982): "My favorite puppet character is the Fizz Gig that pops out and goes 'Urrrghh.'"
• Superstar (1987): "It's the Karen Carpenter story told with Barbie dolls."
• Tales From the Crypt—"The Ventriloquist's Dummy" (1990): "This guy's ventriloquist doll promises him fame, but he has to kill people to get it."
• Little Otik (2000): "It's like Little Shop of Horrors but with a log child."
• Return of the Jedi (1983): "The thing that makes it worth another viewing is Salacious Crumb—the laughing puppet creature that sits next to Jabba the Hutt."
From The Office
2136 E Burnside
Kevin moved here just to ride Mt. Hood, so it's appropriate he works at a snowboard shop and gallery. The year-round ski season makes his tips useful anytime:
• Check the weather: "Never gauge your decision to go snowboarding or skiing on what it looks like in Portland. Find out on www.skihood.com."
• Key ring your ticket: "Get a key ring and attach your ticket to that instead of letting them put it somewhere permanent on your attire. Then you can sell it or help out a friend when you're done."
• Find rides on Craigslist: "It's called 'Get a Lift.' You can post when you need a ride and where."
• Buy gas in Sandy: "The cheapest gas in Oregon, and it's on the way."
• Try night skiing: "A great option, and it's cheaper. You can be any skill level because they light everything up pretty well."
• Don't eat at the slopes: "It's expensive and the food sucks. There's a Subway at the bottom of the hill."